Making a Will
Making a Will or beginning to write a Will is often one of those tasks that gets put off, but there comes a time when you are likely to want to ensure that your affairs are in order when the time comes.
Our Private Client Solicitors are experts in Will writing, and invest a lot of time in making sure you get what you want and that it works.
Start making a Will online: Online Will Questionnaire (PDF Form) >
Making a Will
We make Wills that are bespoke to you, unlike some providers we will not provide a cheap headline price and make several additions in cost once we have received your information. Our Wills are tailored to you and your family and here we outline what you can expect from us:
- A Will bespoke to you and your family
- A bespoke review of inheritance tax position, including a meeting or call to discuss basic advice on possible actions to mitigate tax
- We will gather information about your family and the make-up of your estate to enable us to advise on whether or not Inheritance is an issue.
- We will importantly look at potential pitfalls with your proposals
- We find out your wishes and assess your attitude to certain things, e.g. the age in which children should inherit.
- We explore such things as what provisions should be made if a major beneficiary dies prematurely or at the same time as you.
- We then draft a will which is sent to you along with a detailed commentary designed to ensure that you understand everything in the Will.
- We then store your Will free of charge.
Digital Assets in a will
Do you have countless logins or passwords to vital information that would be useful to include as part of your will?
What is the cost of a Will?
The cost of making a basic Will (prices inclusive of VAT) is broken down as follows:
Single Will = £540 Inc VAT
(Tailored Meeting + Preparation Fee).
Couples Will = £720 Inc VAT
(Tailored Meeting + Preparation Fee).
You can choose to only have a tailored meeting at a reduced cost before deciding to proceed with the Will preparation.
More complex Wills incorporating multiple gifts, Trusts or Tax planning can cost more depending on the type of trust. As a guide for making a Will and Trust together you will be looking at costs in excess of £800. We will be able to assess the overall costs of your Will at our initial meeting.
Updating a Will
If there is only minor changes required to existing Wills or when a Will is included as part of a property move with us the fees will be much lower.
Disputing a will / disputing inheritance?
Maybe you think you have grounds to challenge a Will, inheritance or have not been provided for:
Whether you are an individual beneficiary, a trustee, an executor or an administrator, whether you are a claimant or defendant, we have experience in acting for you. Our Dispute Resolution team can advise you.
Enter your email address for legal updates on Private Client & Family Law.
Make a will online
If you would like to start the process of making a will. Fill in our will questionnaire and submit the form by email to our specialist team. We can then create a will tailored for you from the details you provide.
Latest news & insights
Highlighting the importance of making a Will and the benefits of Estate Planning to ensure your children’s future and wellbeing is protected.
The strict legal answer is that under the Non-Contentious Probate Rules all Wills must be open to inspection after probate is granted.
In the last two years we have seen a deterioration in the service offered by both HMRC Inheritance Tax and the Probate Registry.
Private Wealth Team
- All departments
- Agricultural Law
- Banking and Finance
- Commercial Law
- Commercial Property
- Competition Law
- Consumer Law
- Corporate - MBOs & MBIs
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Law
- Corporate lending
- Data Protection - Marketing
- Data, IT & Technology
- Debt Recovery
- Dispute Resolution
- Disputes - Business
- Disputes - Declarations of trust
- Disputes - Probate and inheritance
- Disputes - Professional negligence
- Disputes - Restrictive Covenants
- Disputes - Shareholders & Partnership
- Disputes - Tenants in Residential Property
- Disputes - Wills, trusts & probate disputes
- Disputes and Small Claims
- Disputes Construction
- Disputes with Co-owners
- Employee - Termination
- Employer - Termination
- Employment - Business protection
- Employment - Collective consultations
- Employment - Contracts, services, consultancy
- Employment - Employee benefits
- Employment - Employee Procedures
- Employment - Equality, discrimination and harassment
- Employment - Family Friendly Rights
- Employment - GDPR and Data Protection
- Employment - Post employment obligations
- Employment - Redundancy & Reorganisation
- Employment - Settlement Agreements
- Employment - Tribunal Claims
- Employment - TUPE
- Employment - Wages, holiday and sick pay
- Employment - Workers rights
- Employment Tribunal claims
- Estate Administration
- Expat Legal Services
- Family Law
- Financial Services
- Help to Buy
- Immigration law
- Intellectual Property
- International Legal Services
- Key Property Contacts
- Land and Property Disputes
- Land, development and construction
- Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Licensing Law
- Money, Tax and Inheritance
- New Build Conveyancing
- New Businsess
- Private Wealth and Inheritance
- Professional Negligence
- Property Finance
- Property Law
- Recovery & Insolvency
- Regulatory, Compliance & Competition
- Residential Property
- Residential Property - Completions
- Residential Property - Shared Ownership
- Terms and Conditions
- Wills, Trusts & Probate
Award winning legal advice
We are solicitors in Camberley, Wokingham and London. In 2019, Herrington Carmichael won ‘Property Law Firm of the Year’ at the Thames Valley Business Magazines Property Awards, ‘Best Medium Sized Business’ at the Surrey Heath Business Awards and we were named IR Global’s ‘Member of the Year’. We are ranked as a Leading Firm 2022 by Legal 500 and Alistair McArthur is ranked in Chambers 2021.