UK Work Visas

Herrington Carmichael has dedicated Immigration lawyers, our specialists work with individuals and businesses to ensure they are legally covered on the career journeys in the UK.

Contact Us

There is a variety of work visas and routes into the UK that give you the legal right to live and work, or to work under various circumstances. Some lead to settlement in the UK while others do not. Take a look at the different work visas to see which works best for you.

For businesses, we offer comprehensive immigration legal services to ensure your hiring of migrant workers is compliant, efficient and as simple as possible.

If you are unsure of which visa to pursue, you would like help with completing the application with the best chance of success, or both, get in touch with us and we can set up a 10 minute free consultation call where we can get a better understanding of your situation and guide you from there.

Skilled Worker Visa
Permitted Paid Engagement Visa
Senior or Specialist Worker Visa
High Potential Individual
International Sportsperson Visa
Minister of Religion

Skilled Worker Visa

A Skilled Worker Visa allows an individual to legally enter the UK to live and work. It requires you to have a job with an approved employer.

The employer must hold a Sponsor Licence and be able to offer a skilled position to an individual who requires sponsorship if they are unable to fill the role from within the resident labour workforce. 

Skilled Worker Visa FAQs

Permitted Paid Engagement Visa

This visa is applicable where you need to visit the UK for a paid engagement where you have been invited as an expert in your profession by a UK-based organisation or client. You can visit the UK for up to 1 month. You cannot extend your stay in the UK.

Permitted Paid Engagement Visa FAQs

Senior or Specialist Worker Visa

Also known as the Global Business Mobility visa. This visa has replaced the Tier 2 (Inter-company Transfer) long-term staff visa. The senior or specialist worker visa is for senior managers or specialist workers in an organisation who are being transferred to the UK from an overseas entity of a UK company to undertake specific work.

Senior or Specialist Worker Visa FAQs

High Potential Individual Visa

The High Potential Individual visa is an exciting category designed to enable those who have been awarded a degree level qualification from an institution on the Global Universities List within the last 5 years to come to the UK.

This route allows applicants to bring their dependant partner and children with them, subject to meeting requirements. Applicants can live and work in the UK without needing to be sponsored for a period of 2 or 3 years, depending on the circumstances. 

High Potential Individual Visa FAQs

International Sportsperson Visa 

The International Sportsperson visa route is for an elite sportsperson or qualified sports coach who is internationally established and can make a significant contribution to the development of their sport at its highest level in the UK.

This is a sponsored route, and therefore the business requires a sponsor licence. The route has both short-term (up to 12 months) and long-term (over 12 months) options. 

International Sportsperson Visa FAQs

Minister of Religion (T2) Visa

The Tier 2 Minister of Religion route is for an authorised person who has been sponsored to perform and conduct religious worships and faith-based organisation.

Applicants are required to score at least 70 points in total to successfully apply for the required visa and they can claim the following points under the heads of Attributes, English Language and Maintenance.

Minister of Religion Visa FAQs

Legal Insight

Meet the Team

Related expertise

Best Law Firms 2024

Herrington Carmichael has once again been named in the Times Best Law Firms. We were first listed in 2023 and have once again made the Best Law Firms list for 2024.

Best Law Firm 2024