Land, Development & Construction
Our Real Estate team at pride themselves on being experts in the field of land, development and construction.
Our wide ranging expertise means that we are able to assist with the full spectrum of legal disciplines in this area, including:
- Advice on the most effective way to structure the transaction, including considering the suitability of a land purchase vs corporate purchase where a company owns the target development land.
- Acting on joint ventures and advising on associated documents such as collaboration agreements.
- Advising on all aspects of Construction Law and drafting/negotiating applicable documents.
- We have a specialist disputes team for Construction disputes
- Site assembly projects including strategic land agreements.
- Drafting and negotiating the full raft of development agreements including option agreements, conditional contracts and overage agreements.
- Dealing with all lender and legal requirements in respect of development finance.
- Liaising with statutory undertakers and local authorities in respect of all infrastructure agreements and planning agreements.
- Plot sales, including the preparation of master legal documentation and comprehensive sales packs.
- The acquisition of land for two national developers of a development site in Alton, Hampshire for 275 houses. We acted for the developers in respect of the negotiation of the option agreement approximately four years before the planning permission was achieved and the land acquired. We also acted on a collaboration agreement for the two developers and the infrastructure agreements to allow the development to be constructed.
- Acting on behalf of a regional developer who took a long term option over a site west of Oxford which included a promotion agreement style arrangement, whereby if the developer didn’t exercise the option agreement then the land would be sold on the open market and the developer would be repaid their planning costs together with a percentage of the sale price. Planning consent was obtained for half of the site (an option agreement remains in place for the remainder of the land) and was sold on the open market to a national developer. We acted in collaboration with the landowner’s solicitors and negotiated the necessary contract and transfer provisions to enable the other half of the site to be developed in the future.
- Acted on behalf of a leading UK-based regional developer on its £27.5 million purchase of a development site with outline planning permission for 248 houses in Mytchett, Surrey, with a developed value of circa £80 million. The transaction was highly complex, relating to a large area of land including numerous titles and contamination-related issues. The transaction also required our team to act on a complex S.106 Agreement which included the SANGS and structured payments for the enlargement of a local free school and independent nursery with six parties to the agreement. We acted for the developer in securing the land and development financing of £12 million to allow for the acquisition of the property. Following completion on the grant of the reserved matters planning permission, the site was re-mortgaged with a £25 million development loan.
Latest news & insights
Have you ever wondered who would be liable if the chimney stack collapsed and your party wall was damaged in the process?
The Grenfell Tower tragedy sparked the most important review of building safety legislation in the history of the UK.
Zero carbon homes refers to residential buildings designed and constructed with a primary focus on minimizing carbon emissions.
It is hugely important that all those involved in the construction industry understand the new duties and review their contracts to ensure they properly deal with them.
It is essential to understand the unique challenges that the construction industry faces when it comes to managing sickness absence.
An Intercreditor agreement outlines the rights and obligations of multiple creditors when lending to the same borrower.
Property Law Team
- All departments
- Agricultural Law
- Co Co - Employee Share Schemes
- Co Co - Recovery & Insolvency
- Co Co - Restructuring
- Co Co Corporate Governance
- Co Co Corporate lending
- Co Co Financial Services
- Co Co Franchising
- Co Co GDPR
- Co Co in-house legal support
- Co Co International Contracts
- Co Co M&A's
- Co Co MBOs & MBIs
- Co Co Partnership and LLPs
- Co Co Regulatory, Compliance & Competition
- Co Co Shareholders Agreements
- Co Co Terms and Conditions
- Co Co- Intellectual Property
- CoCo - Banking and Finance
- CoCo - New Businsess
- CoCo Competition Law
- CoCo Consumer Law
- CoCo Data Protection - Marketing
- CoCo Data, IT & Technology
- Commercial Law
- Commercial Property
- Corporate & Commercial
- Corporate Law
- Debt Recovery
- Dispute Resolution
- Disputes - Business
- Disputes - Declarations of trust
- Disputes - Probate and inheritance
- Disputes - Professional negligence
- Disputes - Restrictive Covenants
- Disputes - Shareholders & Partnership
- Disputes - Tenants in Residential Property
- Disputes - Wills, trusts & probate disputes
- Disputes and Small Claims
- Disputes Construction
- Disputes with Co-owners
- Employee - Termination
- Employer - Termination
- Employment - Business protection
- Employment - Collective consultations
- Employment - Contracts, services, consultancy
- Employment - Employee benefits
- Employment - Employee Procedures
- Employment - Equality, discrimination and harassment
- Employment - Family Friendly Rights
- Employment - GDPR and Data Protection
- Employment - Post employment obligations
- Employment - Redundancy & Reorganisation
- Employment - Settlement Agreements
- Employment - Tribunal Claims
- Employment - TUPE
- Employment - Wages, holiday and sick pay
- Employment - Workers rights
- Employment Tribunal claims
- Estate Administration
- Expat Legal Services
- Family Law
- Financial Services
- Help to Buy
- Immigration law
- International Legal Services
- Key Property Contacts
- Land and Property Disputes
- Land, development and construction
- Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Licensing Law
- Money, Tax and Inheritance
- New Build Conveyancing
- Private Wealth and Inheritance
- Professional Negligence
- Property Finance
- Property Law
- Residential Property
- Residential Property - Completions
- Residential Property - Shared Ownership
- Trainee Solicitor
- Wills, Trusts & Probate
Award winning legal advice
Herrington Carmichael offers legal advice to UK and International businesses as well as individuals and families. Rated as a ‘Leading Firm 2024’ by the legal directory Legal 500 and listed in The Times ‘Best Law Firms 2023 & 2024’. Herrington Carmichael has offices in London, Farnborough, Reading, and Ascot.