Graduate Visa

This visa enables international students who have studied in the UK to remain for at least 2 years after completing their studies.
Contact Us

The Graduate visa opened on 1 July 2021 and this route enables international students who have studied in the UK to remain for at least 2 years after completing their studies (or 3 years for those who have completed a PhD degree or other doctoral qualification).

If the visa is granted the applicant can do any type of work, including on a self-employed basis, except working as a professional sportsperson or coach.

This route does not lead to settlement in the UK however can count towards 10 years lawful residence indefinite leave to remain in the UK. You will be able to switch to a Skilled Worker Visa and many other routes from the UK.

How can we help?

We pride ourselves on the presentation of our applications to the Home Office. You can be assured that your application process will be managed in a professional and organised manner. We will be with you every step of the way

Graduate Visa FAQs

What are the requirements for the graduate visa?

You can apply for the graduate visa if you meet the following requirements:

  • you are currently in the UK
  • you currently hold a Student or Tier 4 (General) Student Visa
  • You studied a bachelor’s degree, postgraduate degree, or another eligible course for the minimum period of time on your current visa
  • your education provider has informed the Home Office that you have completed your studies
How long does it take to get a decision on a graduate visa? 

It usually takes 8 weeks to get a decision. You can stay in the UK while waiting. 

Can my family join me? 

Your family can join you if they were dependants on your Student or Tier 4 (General) visa. 

You will need to prove that you are still in a relationship with your partner. You will need to prove your relationship with your child(ren) and that they are dependent on you. 

What documents do I need to apply?

You will need: 

  • A valid passport
  • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from your course provider when you applied for your Student Visa
  • Your biometric residence permit from your student visa

You might also need:

  • proof of your relationship with your partner and chiildren if they are applying
  • tuberculosis test results if you are from a qualifying country
  • written consent from your financial sponsor if you have received sponsorship for your course fees and living costs


How much does the visa cost? 

The fees charged by Home Office can be found on their official website here

Do I need to pay the healthcare surcharge?

Yes. You will need to pay £1,035 per year that the visa is valid for. You need to pay the full amount at once. 

What are my financial requirements?

You will need to show that you can support yourself, or that your parents are supporting you. 

Course Fee
You will need to demonstrate that you have enough money to pay for your first academic year. This amount paid will be noted on your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). 

Money to Support Yourself
You will need to prove that you have enough money to support yourself. Where you study will dictate the amount:

  • In London: £1,334 per month (for up to 9 months)
  • Outside of London: £1,023 per month (for up to 9 months)

If you are boarding, you will need to pay those fees instead and it will be noted on your CAS. 

Do I need to meet the English requirement?

Yes. You will need to demonstrate evidence of the language requirement through:

  • Passing a Secure English Language Test (SELT) from an approved provider
  • through a GCSE, A level, Scottish National Qualification level 4 or 5, Scottish Higher or Advanced Higher in English, or from a school in the UK.  

Do I need to have my biometric information taken?

If you have a biometric residence permit (BRP) or a passport from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, you can scan it using the the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app. 

If neither of the above applies to you, you will need to make an appointment at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point to have your fingerprints and photographs taken to prove your identity and for your BRP. 

Can I extend my visa? 

You will need to apply for a different visa, like a Skilled Workers Visa.

How long can I stay in the UK on this visa?

You will be able to stay for 2 years. If you have a PHD or other doctoral qualification you can stay for 3 years. The visa starts the day it is approved. 

What does the visa allow me to do in the UK?

You will be able to:

  • Work in most jobs
  • Job hunt
  • be self-employed
  • live with your partner and children if they are eligible
  • volunteer
  • travel abroad and return

If you wish to study, you will need to ensure that your chosen course is not eligible for a Student Visa. If it is, you will need to extend your Student Visa. 

What are the limitations of this visa?

You will not have access to most public funds or benefits. Nor will you be able to work as a professional sportsperson. 

Meet the Team

Related expertise

Best Law Firms 2024

Herrington Carmichael has once again been named in the Times Best Law Firms. We were first listed in 2023 and have once again made the Best Law Firms list for 2024.

Best Law Firm 2024