Fiancé Visas

Engaged to a British Citizen? This visa is for you. 

Contact Us

If you are in a relationship with a British passport holder/citizen who is a permanent resident in the UK and you wish to get married and emigrate to the UK, the Fiancé/Fiancée visa would be applicable for you. 

The settled person may be an Irish national or an EU national who has presettled or settled status. 

How we can help

We have experience in helping people who are in need of the Fiancé Visa and the spousal visa thereafter. Herrington Carmichael’s experienced Immigration team can ensure your application is managed in a co-ordinated manner, with you kept updated every step of the way.


What are the requirements for the fiancé visa?

You need to be able to prove that you are in a genuine and commited relationship with the British passport holder or settled person. You need to prove that you are planning to get married in the UK and settle there permanently as a couple.

If you are from a non-English speaking country, you will need to fulfil the English language requirement. You can do this through providing evidence in one of the following ways: 

  • Write and pass the SELT test at the level of at least A1 at an approved English language test centre to prove your English language ability. You will need to include your pass certificate in your portfolio of evidence to submit to the Home Office.
  • You hold a degree or higher qualification taught in English at an educational institution recognised by NAIRC
  • You are over 65
  • You are a recognised refugee
  • You are living in the UK as an orphan or widow
  • You are a victim of domestic abuse
  • You have a mental or physical condition which prevents you from sitting the exam

What are the financial requirements of the spousal/partner visa?

There are strict financial requirements to get the fiancé visa. You need to meet the requirement in one of the following ways:

  • The British passport holders’ income over the previous 12 months, coupled with a UK job offer (if residing and working in another country at the time of and before the visa application)
  • The British passport holder’s income with a UK-based employer over the previous 6 months (same employer)
  • Cash savings in one or both the applicant and British passport holders’ names.

You need to prove to the Home Office that as a couple you have enough money to support yourselves whilst you are in the UK (as well as any dependants included in your application).

Your combined annual income must be at least £18,600 before spring 2024. If you have any child dependants who will be joining you, this sum increases by £3,800 for your first child and £2,400 for each child thereafter.

There is no healthcare surcharge for this visa. 

Can I work in the UK on this visa?

No. You will not be able to do any work during the 6 month visa period. You will have full right to work with no restrictions once you are married and on a spousal visa.

Can my dependants come over on this visa?

Yes. You will need to add them to your application and prove you meet the financial requirements for each dependent. 

How long can I stay in the UK on this visa?

The visa is only valid for 6 months. Once you are married, you can apply for the spousal visa from within the UK – you do not need to leave the UK to apply for the visa. 

Does the visa need to be renewed? 

Yes, subject to meeting eligibility requirements, this visa can lead to indefinite leave to remain in the UK after 5 years in the UK on this route.  

What do I need to prove my relationship to meet the requirements? 

Evidence accepted that shows you live together and are dependent on one another:

  • Comes from the government, a bank, landlord, utility provider, or a medical professional,
  • Confirms your relationship with your partner – for example, that you live together, share expenses, or are married or in a civil partnership,
  • Is less than 4 years old.

Some of the documentation you could use:

  • Marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate
  • A tenancy agreement, utility bills or council tax bills confirming that you live at the same address
  • A bank statement form a joint account or that confirms you live together
  • A letter from the dentist or doctor confirming you live at the same address.
  • If you do not have access to any of the above, the following evidence can also assist:
  • A one-off bill like vet’s fees or home repair costs
  • Letters showing you and your partner are on the voting register at the same address
  • Student finance documentation confirming your same address.


Meet the Team

Related expertise

Best Law Firms 2024

Herrington Carmichael has once again been named in the Times Best Law Firms. We were first listed in 2023 and have once again made the Best Law Firms list for 2024.

Best Law Firm 2024