Individual & Family Visas

Our Immigration Law team has specialist lawyers comes alongside individuals and families on their UK immigration journeys.

Contact Us

Individual and Family Visas

We offer expert immigration legal services for the following individual and family visas:

Important note for changes in Spring 2024

For many of the below visas, there are strict financial requirements. For those who have these requirements, from Spring 2024 there are increases in the minimum annual wage that need to be met in order to meet the financial requirements.

Ancestry Visa
Adult Dependent Relative
Fiancé Visa
Spouse Visa

Ancestry Visa

An Ancestry visa is available to people who have grandparents (maternal or paternal) who were born in the UK,  the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man and who also meet one of the following criteria: 

  • Commonwealth citizen
  • British overseas citizen
  • British overseas territories citizen
  • British national (overseas)
  • Citizen of Zimbabwe

The visa will cover the main applicant, their spouse and their dependants under the age of 18. 

There are various requirements that need to be met as well as the above.

Ancestry Visa FAQs

Adult to be cared for by a relative

This is applies to any adult that is in need of long-term care from a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is a permanent resident in the UK. 

There are various requirements that need to be met in order to receive this visa, however, once received, the visa does not need to be renewed.

Adult Dependent Relative Visa FAQs

Fiancé Visa

The fiancé visa is available to those who are engaged to a British citizen and intend on getting married within 6 months of arriving in the UK and who can prove previous marriages or civil partnerships have ended. This does not entitle you to work or study in the UK. Once married, you will need to apply to stay in the UK and upon approval, you will have the right to study and work. 

Fiancé Visa FAQs

Spouse Visa

This route enables those in a qualifying relationship with a British citizen or someone settled in the UK to join them here. You must intend to live in the UK with your spouse/partner.

Provided that all requirements are met, you will be granted a visa for an initial period of two years 9 months to join your partner in the UK. After this time, provided you continue to meet the requirements and you and your partner still wish to remain in the UK, you can extend your leave for a further two-and-a-half-year period.

Upon completion of five years in this category, and subject to meeting the eligibility requirements, you will be able to apply for Settlement in the UK.

Spouse Visa FAQs


Do I need an Immigration Lawyer or can I do it myself?

Most of the visa , settlement routes and citizenship applications can be done by yourself. However, most of these applications can be complex, based on your situation, and more often than not, the fees involved in the application will not be refunded if your application is not successful. 

We recommend using an Immigration Lawyer as it significantly reduces the risk of your application being rejected due to our experience and knowledge in Immigration Law. We have had numerous clients who had first attempted it themselves, failed, lost all of the fees and now have to pay it again as well as paying for lawyers to ensure it is done correctly. 

How much does it cost to use an Immigration Lawyer?

Our fees depend on the the visa or route you want to pursue and how complex your situation is. Get in touch with us to discuss your situation further and we will give you an obligation-free quote. 

Can I first talk to someone before commiting to your services?

Yes! We know each person is at different parts of their immigration journey and you want to speak to someone before committing to paying fees. We offer a 10-minute free initial conversation where we can help you determine your best course of action. We can also advise on fees and cost after this call. 

I am not sure what to choose based on my situation. What should I do? 

We offer a free 10-minute consultation. We will happily chat through your situation with you to help you determine your eligibility for the variuous routes. Get in touch for your 10-minute chat and obligation-free quote. 

I have submitted an application but I need help. Can you help? 

We are able to help you regardless of where you are on your application journey. If you have already applied, we will need as much information as we can get from you in order to best assist going forward. 

Can you help me if I do not live in the UK currently?

We can help all individuals and families from wherever they are located in order to help them get to the UK. We offer online and video call meetings. 

Is my application more likely to be successful if I use an Immigration Lawyer?

Using an Immigration Lawyer does not stand you in better stead in the eyes of Home Office, however, using an Immigration Lawyer does result in a better quality application that is correctly filled out and has the correct documents attached. This gives less space for error and increases the chances of the application being successful. This is particularly true in complex cases. 

Legal Insight

Meet the Team

Related expertise

Best Law Firms 2024

Herrington Carmichael has once again been named in the Times Best Law Firms. We were first listed in 2023 and have once again made the Best Law Firms list for 2024.

Best Law Firm 2024