International Family Law
Our Family Law team are specialists in providing legal advice on International Divorce.
Those facing a relationship breakdown are increasingly finding that their situation involves an international element. International divorce is complicated as the financial outcomes of a divorce can vary significantly from country to country.
Court proceedings can be issued in England even you and/or some of your assets are based abroad. Our family team are able to advise you as to whether you are able to divorce in England and Wales in light of your domicile or habitual residence.
You should seek advice right at the outset to find out whether you are eligible to divorce in England and Wales. In most cases, once a divorce has been commenced in one jurisdiction, the decisions regarding the finances will take place there too. This is significant if you and your spouse have ties to other countries because the laws of another country might be more advantageous or disadvantageous to you.
The consequences of divorcing in the UK or abroad can be significant and it is therefore important that you take advice as early as possible. We understand that you will need advice and help with the procedures and the various solutions available to resolve issues. We offer an initial fixed appointment for one hour at a cost of £250 plus VAT. If you choose to instruct us the cost of the meeting will be credited against your first invoice. A meeting can be arranged in any of our London, Camberley or Wokingham offices.
- All departments
- Banking and Finance
- Business Disputes
- Commercial Law
- Competition Law
- Construction disputes
- Consumer Law
- Corporate - MBOs & MBIs
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Law
- Corporate lending
- Data, IT & Technology
- Debt Recovery
- Disputes - Declarations of trust
- Disputes - Land and Property
- Disputes - Probate and inheritance
- Disputes - Professional negligence
- Disputes - Restrictive Covenants
- Disputes - Shareholders & Partnership
- Disputes - Tenants in Residential Property
- Disputes - Wills, trusts & probate disputes
- Disputes and Small Claims
- Disputes with Co-owners
- Employee - Termination
- Employer - Termination
- Employment - Business protection
- Employment - Collective consultations
- Employment - Contracts, services, consultancy
- Employment - Employee benefits
- Employment - Employee Procedures
- Employment - Equality, discrimination and harassment
- Employment - Family Friendly Rights
- Employment - GDPR and Data Protection
- Employment - Post employment obligations
- Employment - Redundancy & Reorganisation
- Employment - Settlement Agreements
- Employment - Tribunal Claims
- Employment - TUPE
- Employment - Wages, holiday and sick pay
- Employment - Workers rights
- Employment Tribunal claims
- Estate Administration
- Expat Legal Services
- Family Law
- Financial Services
- Immigration law
- Intellectual Property
- International Legal Services
- Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Licensing Law
- Money, Tax and Inheritance
- New Businsess
- Property Law
- Recovery & Insolvency
- Regulatory, Compliance & Competition
- Residential Property - Completions
- Residential Property - Conveyancing
- Residential Property - Shared Ownership
- Residential Property – Help to Buy
- Residential Property – New Build
- Wills, Trusts and Probate
- Acting for an advising a client who had received significant gifts over the course of the marriage from the parents. The client was awarded in excess of 50% of the assets.
- Acting for and advising a high net worth client who held business interests with their spouse. The value of the business became a point of contention during the course of financial remedy proceedings issued by the other party and it proved necessary to appoint a forensic accountant to report on the value of the company, liquidity and tax implications of a sale or transfer of shares from one party to the other.
- Acting for and advising a high net worth client on a division of the matrimonial assets following a short marriage. The case settled out of court and we were able to successfully negotiate a settlement whereby the majority of the assets (including high value properties held by a business in which the client had a shareholding) were retained by our client.
- Acting for and advising high net worth overseas clients on the successful negotiation of a matrimonial settlement, including property abroad and in the UK and business interests.
- Acting for and advising a client concerning a dispute involving children whereby the unmarried ex-partner made a claim for capital, top up of child maintenance and payment of school fees under Schedule 1 Children Act 1989.
- Acting for and advising clients in respect of Children Act applications, applications for non-molestation and occupation orders, and applications to vary old maintenance orders.
Herrington Carmichael LLP is ‘faultless in every area’ and impresses with its ‘strong and united team’, which routinely acts for high-net-worth individuals. Dividing her time between Wokingham and Camberley, department head Maria Mulroe delivers ‘extreme professionalism, patience and frankness’ in financial cases relating to business and overseas assets. Solicitor Danielle Bentley (‘a good lawyer with great potential’) joined the practice from CH-R Family Solicitors. Recent work for the ‘dedicated lawyers’ include Children Act matters, cross-border divorces and financial remedy proceedings.Legal 500, 2017
Latest news & insights
The High Court in London is set to hear what could be the highest value divorce case the English courts have ever seen.read more
In 2016, a Dutch design and engineering firm, Studio OBA, has revealed its design of a floating house which can divide into two parts if a couple breaks upread more
Controlling and coercive behaviour can come in many forms…read more