Senior or Specialist Worker Visa 

Previously known as the Global Business Mobility visa. 

Contact Us

This visa has replaced the Tier 2 (Inter-company Transfer) long-term staff visa. The senior or specialist worker visa is for senior managers or specialist workers in an organisation who are being transferred to the UK from an overseas entity of a UK company to undertake specific work.

This route does not lead to settlement, but it does allow for dependants to join the main applicant.

Length of Stay on a Senior or Specialist Worker visa:

In the Senior or Specialist Worker visa, the maximum period of leave is a cumulative total of 5 years in any 6-year period or 9 years in any 10-year period for high earners.

How we can help

We have significant experience in preparing visa applications for individuals who wish to move to the UK for work and business purposes. For assistance please contact us.


Senior or Specialist Worker Visa FAQs

What is a Senior or Specialist Worker Visa?

This visa allows you to come to or stay in the UK to work an eligible job at your employer’s UK branch. 

What are the eligibility requirements? 
  • Be an existing employee of an organisation that’s been approved by the Home Office as a sponsor.
  • Have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer with information about the work you will do in the UK.
  • Work in a job role that’s on the list of eligible occupations.
  • Be paid at least £45,800 per year.
  • Have worked for your employer outside of the UK for at least 12 months – an exception applies if you are earning more than £73,900, in which case there is no minimum time requirement for employment. 
Can I bring my family on a Senior or Specialist Worker Visa? 

Yes, subject to meeting eligibility requirements, you can apply for your partner and children aged under 18 to join you as your dependants.  

How long can I stay in the UK on this visa?

In the Senior or Specialist Worker visa, the maximum period of leave is a cumulative total of:

  • 5 years in any 6-year period for those earning less than £73,900 per annum; or
  • 9 years in any 10-year period for high earners, earning over £73,900 per annum.
Is this visa eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain?

This visa does not provide a direct route to settlement/ ILR in the UK. However, it may be possible to switch to an alternative visa from within the UK, that would allow you to qualify for settlement. 

How long does it take to get a decision for this visa? 

It takes 3 weeks if applying from overseas. For an additional fee, you can prioritise your application and receive an expedited decision.

How much does the visa cost?

The fees charged by Home Office can be found on their official website here

Will I need to submit my biometric information?

Yes. You will need to attend an appointment at your nearest visa centre to have your photograph taken and to submit your fingerprints. This is for your visa. 

Legal Insight

Meet the Team

Related expertise

Best Law Firms 2024

Herrington Carmichael has once again been named in the Times Best Law Firms. We were first listed in 2023 and have once again made the Best Law Firms list for 2024.

Best Law Firm 2024