As a cohabitee you do not have the same automatic rights to property and assets as you would if you were married.

If the property you are living in is owned in the sole name of your partner, to be entitled to claim a share you will need to show that you have made a financial contribution to its purchase, or carried out renovations to the building or contributed in some way.

A Cohabitation Agreement specifies what happens to you and your partner's finances if the relationship breaks down.

It is a common misconception that, after living together for a while, a couple become 'common-law husband and wife' with much the same rights as married couples. Until new laws are introduced to cover cohabiting couples who separate a Cohabitation Agreement offers you and your partner the best protection.

Please click here for further information.

We can advise you on the preparation of a Cohabitation Agreement. Please contact a member of our team in either our Camberley or Wokingham office for further advice.

If you already have an argument with your co-owner about property owned by you both or believe you have made a contribution that gives you a share in a property, you might need the assistance of our Dispute Resolution lawyers. Click here to find out more.

Our Family & Matrimonial team is delighted to have been recognised in this year's edition of the UK Legal 500 as a leading advisor in the Thames Valley area.

Herrington Carmichael LLP is ‘faultless in every area’ and impresses with its ‘strong and united team’, which routinely acts for high-net-worth individuals. Dividing her time between Wokingham and Camberley, department head Maria Mulroe delivers ‘extreme professionalism, patience and frankness’ in financial cases relating to business and overseas assets. Solicitor Danielle Bentley (‘a good lawyer with great potential’) joined the practice from CH-R Family Solicitors. Recent work for the ‘dedicated lawyers’ include Children Act matters, cross-border divorces and financial remedy proceedings.

Enquire about this service
Preferred office:
Submit enquiry
Call Us:
Camberley:    +44 (0)1276 686 222
Wokingham:  +44 (0)1189 774 045
Key contacts
Maria Mulroe
Head of Department, Partner, Collaborative Lawyer
Anita McGee
Family Secretary