Summer holidays: A guide for separated parents

Jun 15, 2023

Summer is a popular time of year to take a foreign holiday. However, for separated parents wanting to travel abroad with their children, there is more to think about than just which flight to book and what to pack, so it is very important that you start making plans early.

Where there is a court order

If a parent has a Child Arrangements Order that provides for their children to live with them, they can take their child/children out of England (or Wales if that is where they live) for up to 28 days without the consent of the other parent unless there is a Prohibited Steps Order or Specific Issue Order requiring them not to do so.

Where there is no court order

If there is no Child Arrangements Order, then the consent of every person with parental responsibly (usually both parents but see below) will be needed before you can travel abroad with your child/children.

Parental Responsibility

A mother always has parental responsibility and a father or second parent has it if they are:

  1. Named on the birth certificate;
  2. Are married to the mother at the time of the child’s birth; or
  3. They have a parental responsibility agreement or order.

How to obtain consent for a holiday abroad

It is always advisable to discuss and agree your holiday arrangements with the other parent before booking anything. You should provide details such as destination, travel dates, flight numbers, and accommodation. Whilst verbal consent is all that is required, it is preferable to obtain something in writing, either by letter, email, or text.

Once consent is obtained and the holiday is booked, make sure you provide the other parent with details.

You should also make sure you are holding all the passports and that they are in date.

When you travel, it may be beneficial to take a copy of your child/children’s birth certificate/s with you to evidence your relationship to the child if challenged.

What to do if consent is refused 

If you have sought permission to travel, but permission has been unreasonably refused, you can apply to the court for a Specific Issue Order giving you permission to travel.  Such applications are rarely refused given that a holiday is usually going to be considered to be in the best interests of a child/children.

However, permission may not be granted if you usually do not spend consecutive days/nights with your child/children or if your child has stated a genuine reason not to want to go. Permission is also unlikely to be granted if the Foreign Office does not advise travel to a particular destination or if there is a genuine risk of abduction.

An application to the court is likely to take at least 4 months to determine, so it is important to plan ahead.

How we can help

At Herrington Carmichael we are experienced in dealing with all aspects of family breakdown, including arrangements for children and the need to seek consent or permission from the court to remove a child from the jurisdiction temporarily, or permanently. If you think you may require legal assistance, contact us and a member of our family team can advise you in more detail on your options and help you to try and agree the best course of action for you and your child/children.

This reflects the law and market position at the date of publication and is written as a general guide. It does not contain definitive legal advice, which should be sought in relation to a specific matter.

Penny Marshall

Penny Marshall

Chartered Legal Executive, Family Law

Jessica McDonald

Jessica McDonald

Trainee Solicitor

Latest News & Insights

All in a Day’s Work: Employment Podcast Series

Our Employment team bring you a monthly podcast covering all aspects of Employment law for businesses and individuals. You can browse our podcasts below…
All in a Day’s Work: Introduction to TUPE

All in a Day’s Work: Introduction to TUPE

In this episode, we discuss the basic principles of TUPE including when a transfer arises, the impact this has on employees and how best to prepare for a potential TUPE transfer.

Top Legal Insights


Contract Law

Material Breach of Contract

What is a ‘material’ breach of contract by a party to a commercial contract? This is a critical issue regularly considered by the courts. What constitutes a material breach and what are the remedies?

Property Law

Commercial Lease: The Financial impact on Landlord and Tenant

Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the restrictions now in place to control its spread, are having a significant effect on many business sectors.

Divorce and Family Law

Divorce in Lockdown: Can I get some discreet legal advice?

We have spoken to clients who are unfortunately experiencing some family issues, and would like to obtain expert legal advice, yet don’t know how...

Land & Property Dispute

Restrictive Covenants – The Price of Modification

Having identified that your land is burdened by a restrictive covenant and for the purposes of this article the covenant in question will be that only one residential building can be erected on the land. What do you do next?

Wills, Trusts and Probate

Why is having a will so important?

It is entirely up to you if and when you want to create a Will, but it is important to be aware of the consequences of not having a Will.

Award winning legal advice

Herrington Carmichael offers legal advice to UK and International businesses as well as individuals and families. Rated as a ‘Leading Firm 2023’ by the legal directory Legal 500 and listed in The Times ‘Best Law Firms 2023’. Herrington Carmichael has offices in London, Farnborough, Reading, and Ascot.

+44 (0)1276 686 222


Brennan House, Farnborough Aerospace Centre Business Park, Farnborough, GU14 6XR

Reading (Appointment only)
The Abbey, Abbey Gardens, Abbey Street, Reading RG1 3BA

Ascot (Appointment only)
102, Berkshire House, 39-51 High Street, Ascot, Berkshire SL5 7HY

London (Appointment only)
60 St Martins Lane, Covent Garden, London WC2N 4JS

Privacy Policy   |   Legal Notices, T&Cs, Complaints Resolution   |   Cookies  |   Client Feedback   |  Diversity Data



Our Services

Corporate Lawyers
Commercial Lawyers
Commercial Property Lawyers
Conveyancing Solicitors
Dispute Resolution Lawyers
Divorce & Family Lawyers
Employment Lawyers
Immigration Law Services
Private Wealth & Inheritance Lawyers
Startups & New Business Lawyers

Pay Online >

Please be aware that we have no plans to change our bank details. If you receive any indication that any of our bank details have changed please contact us before sending us any funds. We take no responsibility for monies you transfer into the wrong bank account.

© 2023 Herrington Carmichael LLP. Registered in England and Wales company number OC322293.

Herrington Carmichael LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with registration number 446245.