My partner and I are splitting up and we have kids- where do I stand?

Nov 26, 2019

For many separating couples with children, the real worry is the children. Who will they live with? When will they spend time with both parents? Who will make decisions for them? Will I be phased out?

There is no automatic presumption in favour of either parent as far as the law is concerned when it comes to the children. When the court is called upon to make decisions regarding the children the paramount consideration is what is in the best interests of the children? 

In 2014, the law went a step further and now there is an established presumption that the involvement of both parents in a child’s life is in the best interests of the child unless there is evidence to the contrary.

There can be complications which arise when settling disputes about the upbringing of the children if there is a difference in the legal status of the parents and this is where the concept of parental responsibility becomes relevant.

If you have parental responsibility, you are responsible for making important decisions in the children’s lives. This includes decisions about how the children are to be educated or any medical care they receive as a few examples. Parental responsibility also allows you to make day-to-day decisions concerning the children such as their nutrition, recreation and outings. The duties involved for those with parental responsibility will change from time to time given the differing needs, circumstances and as the children become older and in line with their level of maturity.

How do you know if you have parental responsibility? 

The biological mother will always have parental responsibility.

This is where the position differs for married and unmarried couples…. A father who is married to the biological mother either at the time of the birth or afterwards will also have parental responsibility for a child. An unmarried father will only have parental responsibility if:
1) They are named on the birth certificate with the mother’s consent (after 1st December 2003)

2) There is a Child Arrangements Order in relation to the children

3) There is a court order granting the unmarried father with parental responsibility

4) They have entered into a formal Parental Responsibility Agreement with the mother

5) By being appointed as a guardian either by the mother or by the court, although in these cases it will only occur on the mother’s death.

If you do not have parental responsibility then you can apply to the court for it if your ex-partner will not agree to a Parental Responsibility Agreement.

There are any number differences of opinion which can come up when you are bringing up children together and those differences do not fall away if your relationship breaks down. Where such differences arise, there are a variety of ways in which a dispute can be resolved. Taking the dispute to court is the last resort. If the court is called upon to make an order relating to a child then the decision will be in light of what is in the best interests of the child.

If you have separated from your partner and you feel anxious about maintaining your relationship with your children going forward, then get in touch with our family team for some expert advice on 0118 9774045.

Aaron O’Malley

Aaron O’Malley

Senior Solicitor, Family Law

Sign up

Enter your email address for legal updates on Private Client & Family Law.

Please see our privacy policy regarding use of your data.

Contact us

    The information you submit will be handled in accordance with our privacy policy.

    Top read insights in 2019

    Contract Law

    Material Breach of Contract

    What is a ‘material’ breach of contract by a party to a commercial contract? This is a critical issue regularly considered by the courts. What constitutes a material breach and what are the remedies?

    Property Law

    Purchasing Land – Option Agreements

    A developer and a landowner can enter into an Option Agreement. What are the strategies that can be employed by both landowners and developers to assist in such land deals?

    Divorce and Family Law

    What are the Tax Implications of a Civil Partnership?

    Is there a significant tax saving to be made by a couple who are married or in a civil partnership that cohabitating couples simply don’t qualify for?  

    Land & Property Dispute

    Restrictive Covenants – The Price of Modification

    Having identified that your land is burdened by a restrictive covenant and for the purposes of this article the covenant in question will be that only one residential building can be erected on the land. What do you do next?

    Wills, Trusts and Probate

    Is my Will applicable to my Spanish property?

    You must be careful when relying on an English Will in relation to your Spanish property.

    Award winning legal advice

    We are solicitors in Camberley, Wokingham and London. In 2019, Herrington Carmichael won ‘Property Law Firm of the Year’ at the Thames Valley Business Magazines Property Awards, ‘Best Medium Sized Business’ at the Surrey Heath Business Awards and we were named IR Global’s ‘Member of the Year’. We are ranked as a Leading Firm 2022 by Legal 500 and Alistair McArthur is ranked in Chambers 2021.


    60 St Martins Lane, Covent Garden, London WC2N 4JS 

    +44 (0) 203 755 0557



    Building 2  Watchmoor Park, Riverside Way, Camberley, Surrey  GU15 3YL

    +44 (0)1276 686 222


    Wokingham (Appointment only)

    4 The Courtyard, Denmark Street, Wokingham, Berkshire RG40 2AZ

    +44 (0)118 977 4045


    © 2020 Herrington Carmichael LLP. Registered in England and Wales company number OC322293.

    Herrington Carmichael LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

    Privacy   |   Legal Notices, T&Cs, Complaints Resolution   |   Cookies   |   Client Feedback