Settlement in the UK

Our Immigration Law team has specialist lawyers can help you apply for settlement in the UK based on your individual circumstances. 

Contact Us

Settlement in the UK

There are various situations where you can no longer apply for visas, have previously resided in the UK or are from a qualifying country which gives you resident rights in the UK. The context and details of your situation will dictate your settlement and citizen options.

Since each situation can be so different, we offer 10-minute free consultations with an expert immigration lawyer. This allows you the opportunity to chat through your situation and assess with an expert what is required from you to successfully settle. We can assist you with the whole process to ensure it is done correctly, timeously and with every chance of a successful application. 

Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)
Returning Resident
Long Residence ILR
Private Life ILR

Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)

Applicants who have lived in the UK legally for a certain length of time, may be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain (“ILR”) in the UK (i.e. settle in the UK). Once you have indefinite leave to remain you have the right to live, work and study in the UK for as long as you like.

Once you have been settled in the UK for a certain amount of time, which varies according to your circumstances, you can apply for British citizenship. There are different ways to apply for indefinite leave to remain according to your circumstances.

Once you have continued to live in the UK for 12 months after receiving indefinite leave to remain, you may qualify for British citizenship.

Indefinite Leave to Remain FAQs

Returning Resident

This visa is for individuals who have previously been permanent residents in the UK and wish to return as a permanent resident after residing outside of the UK for a period of time losing their right to live and work in the UK. Your ability to apply as a Returning Resident depends on how long you have been living outside of the UK. 

You do not need a Returning Resident visa if you are a member of the British Armed Forces and have been posted overseas, this includes your partner.

Returning Resident FAQs

Long Residence ILR

If you have been residing permanently in the UK legally for 10 consecutive years – known as long residence, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). 

There is specific criteria that needs to be met in order to qualify for long residence ILR. It can lead to British citizenship.

Long Residence ILR FAQs

Private Life ILR

You can apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) if you either: have a visa on the basis of your private life, or you were born in the UK and have lived in the UK continuously until the age of 7 (at a minimum). 

You can confirm your eligibility for this. It does lead to British citizenship.

Private Life ILR FAQs


Do I need an Immigration Lawyer or can I do it myself?

Most of the visa , settlement routes and citizenship applications can be done by yourself. However, most of these applications can be complex, based on your situation, and more often than not, the fees involved in the application will not be refunded if your application is not successful. 

We recommend using an Immigration Lawyer as it significantly reduces the risk of your application being rejected due to our experience and knowledge in Immigration Law. We have had numerous clients who had first attempted it themselves, failed, lost all of the fees and now have to pay it again as well as paying for lawyers to ensure it is done correctly. 

How much does it cost to use an Immigration Lawyer?

Our fees depend on the the visa or route you want to pursue and how complex your situation is. Get in touch with us to discuss your situation further and we will give you an obligation-free quote. 

Can I first talk to someone before commiting to your services?

Yes! We know each person is at different parts of their immigration journey and you want to speak to someone before committing to paying fees. We offer a 10-minute free initial conversation where we can help you determine your best course of action. We can also advise on fees and cost after this call. 

I am not sure what to choose based on my situation. What should I do? 

We offer a free 10-minute consultation. We will happily chat through your situation with you to help you determine your eligibility for the variuous routes. Get in touch for your 10-minute chat and obligation-free quote. 

I have submitted an application but I need help. Can you help? 

We are able to help you regardless of where you are on your application journey. If you have already applied, we will need as much information as we can get from you in order to best assist going forward. 

What is the difference between settlement and indefinite leave to remain (ILR)?

Indefinite leave to remain (ILR) is the formal term for settlement. They are the same thing and the two terms are often used interchangeably.

Is my application more likely to be successful if I use an Immigration Lawyer?

Using an Immigration Lawyer does not stand you in better stead in the eyes of Home Office, however, using an Immigration Lawyer does result in a better quality application that is correctly filled out and has the correct documents attached. This gives less space for error and increases the chances of the application being successful. This is particularly true in complex cases. 

Legal Insight

Meet the Team

Related expertise

Best Law Firms 2024

Herrington Carmichael has once again been named in the Times Best Law Firms. We were first listed in 2023 and have once again made the Best Law Firms list for 2024.

Best Law Firm 2024