Yavan established the corporate and commercial department in 2008 concentrating on supporting businesses and their commercial requirements. Having built a team of expert corporate and commercial lawyers with a wide range of industry specialisms, Yavan is able to offer pragmatic solutions to complex legal problems.
Yavan, a technically able expert, has extensive experience advising on M&A, corporate restructuring, banking, business ownership issues and intellectual property rights matters.
Experience | Key projects
- Advising on strategic buy, build and sale project: Advising UK headquartered international banking security and maintenance provider on several buy and build acquisitions prior to partial sale to US hedge fund including a rollover of existing management shareholders with a total project value in excess of £100 million.
- Private equity investment into international electronics manufacturer: Advising UK headquartered international electronics manufacturer on investment from private equity investor with an enterprise value of £110 million.
- Demerger and restructure of IT and services infrastructure business: Advising £45 million turnover client on restructuring of its business by way of three cornered demerger to provide for two distinct businesses.
- Acquisition finance and re-finance of leading UK-based developer: Advising client on £25 million senior debt refinance with subordination of then current £10 million junior debt.
- Advising on pre IPO investment facility for home services software provider: Advising client on £15 million investment from overseas listed investment company to include undiluted roll over of existing investors.
- Refinancing for banking security and maintenance provider (Private Equity): Advising on a refinance totalling £21,000,000 including facilities and receivables finance facilities from major UK banks.
Interests and Hobbies
Yavan is kept busy with his three small children and has therefore abandoned all hope of a quiet moment to himself or any spare time!
The team at Herrington-Carmichael provide expert support which is calming when the pressure is on and always based on human connection. Most impressive is their ability to be responsive so that deals stay on track and schedule.
– Stuart Crainer, Co-founder Thinkers50
In building an IFA sector leading business it was essential to have a top-quality legal firm in place which is why I chose Herrington Carmichael to work with me from the start-up phases in 2004 to an eventual sale in 2017. Having returned to the IFA sector again in 2020 to build another quality IFA firm I have once again chosen Herrington Carmichael. Amongst other things, Yavan and his team have provided comprehensive and dedicated legal support in the negotiation and conclusion of a complex multi-investor transaction.
– Richard Dunbabin, CEO, Chester Rose
Yavan, Chris and the rest of the team at Herrington Carmichael were a pleasure to work with and provided a professional, responsive and pragmatic approach. They distil comments and mark-ups into concise questions to allow us to make commercial decisions without being bogged down in legal jargon, which allows for a smooth, efficient transaction process. I’d happily recommend the team to any of my peers, and always enjoy working with HC on deals.
– Liam Pursall, BGF
Yavan, Chris, and Liz are three of the most attentive, hands-on, and knowledgeable lawyers I have ever had the pleasure of working with. They were always available to answer my questions and provide me with excellent advice. They were also very proactive in managing my case and keeping me informed of its progress. I would highly recommend them to anyone in need of legal representation.
– Richard Owen, Director, Cinch Self Storage
We had been working with HC as our corporate lawyers for many years, pre-dating the inception of DataOps.live. Yavan and his team were excellent and tireless in their efforts to execute the funding round in a particularly short timescale, especially given the international time zones in consideration. The team were always available, always prepared, and always thinking of mutually acceptable ways to move past any challenges when they arose. We look forward to working with Herrington Carmichael over the coming years as we look to scale Dataops.live with the strategic input of Anthos Capital and Snowflake Ventures.
– Justin Mullen, CEO and Co-founder
It’s been a real pleasure working recently with Yavan, and the Herrington Carmichael team. They have provided excellent support on property and wider commercial matters – the interaction between teams being seamless. I am certainly planning to keep working with Herrington Carmichael – as someone in my team said recently “What a find!”
– Suzy Hardyman, Group General Counsel/Company Secretary, VPS Group
Yavan’s approach in dealing with negotiations and in dealing with the city lawyers on a multi-million pound investment were commercially focused, ensured that progress was made and that we concentrated on the areas of the greatest importance.
– Clayton Sullivan-Webb, Managing Director, Grundon Waste Management Limited.
Herrington Carmichael LLP has coordinated three purchase and sale transactions for us in the last two years. The advice and guidance provided by the corporate team, led by Yavan Brar, has been well explained, commercially sound and supported by well drafted legal documentation. All legal advice, completions and support provided by Yavan and his team was first rate.
– Will Clark, Managing Director and Part owner at Gavin Jones Ltd
Yavan and his team at Herrington Carmichael recently advised us on the assignment of two loans and associated security from third party lenders onto our books. Yavan and Matt provided advice of the highest quality and ensured the transactions completed swiftly. They were available whenever we needed to contact them and kept their advice commercially focused to our specific requirements. We have built a good relationship up with the whole team at Herrington Carmichael and would certainly recommend them.
– Chris Hector, Director
The team at Herrington Carmichael advised Cennox on two recent acquisitions and our group refinancing. Throughout these processes I found them very professional, pragmatic and commercial. Resources were available to be brought in when needed to complete transactions to our timetable. I have no hesitation in recommending Yavan and the team.
– Roy Dodd, Group Finance Director at Cennox
Legal 500 Testimonials
This is a commercially minded practice that is led by a talented lawyer, Yavan Brar, who focuses his team on providing excellence in all they do. The team is genuinely keen to ensure good quality and pragmatic advice for clients and in my experience, this is achieved.
– Legal 500, 2022
Yavan Brar is outstanding in finding solutions to every problem. He is committed in terms of his energy, time and strategic mind.
– Legal 500, 2020
Herrington Carmichael LLP’s corporate and commercial offering is led by excellent dealmaker and strong networker, Yavan Brar, who specialises in transactional work, including mergers and acquisitions and corporate re-structuring.
– Legal 500, 2018
Insights by Yavan Brar
Herrington Carmichael has advised the NYSE listed satellite communications company SatixFy Communications Ltd.
Herrington Carmichael’s specialist tech Mergers & Acquisitions team led another successful fundraise round for Arkivum.
Herrington Carmichael’s specialist tech M&A team assisted the shareholders of Elevate2 Limited on their successful acquisition.
Award winning legal advice
Herrington Carmichael offers legal advice to UK and International businesses as well as individuals and families. Rated as a ‘Leading Firm 2024’ by the legal directory Legal 500 and listed in The Times ‘Best Law Firms 2023 & 2024’. Herrington Carmichael has offices in London, Farnborough, Reading, and Ascot.