Yavan established the corporate and commercial department in 2008 concentrating on supporting businesses and their commercial requirements. Having built a team of expert corporate and commercial lawyers with a wide range of industry specialisms, Yavan is able to offer pragmatic solutions to complex legal problems.
Yavan, a technically able expert, has extensive experience advising on M&A, corporate restructuring, banking, business ownership issues and intellectual property rights matters.
Experience | Key projects
Property Development, Investment and Management
- Acting for two special purpose vehicle subsidiaries of a prestigious property developer on loan facilities in excess of £20 million and £8,000,000 provided by a Luxembourg based investment fund including negotiating facility documents and meeting complex conditions precedent.
- The restructure of a property investment and management group including application for HMRC clearance for planned section 110 demerger to separate investment and management businesses.
Project: A National Financial Services provider
A fund raising £5,000,000 from BVI private equity to facilitate its acquisitive growth program.
Project: A National Online Retail company
A national online retail company sale to a Joint Venture conditional upon an Australian Securities Exchange listing with a deal value of A$40,000,000.
Advising and Management
- Acting for the MBO team in a £14.5million acquisition and in the post completion restructuring of a seven company group with a group turnover of £50million.
- Advising estate management and compulsory land acquisition consultancy and project management company on complex restructuring including long term shareholder exit plan, incorporation of four holding companies for incoming equity investment and provision of a group company management document protecting the interests and control of the founding shareholders / directors.
- Negotiating the sale and advising on the entire issued share capital of an information technology consultancy business in connection with new investment.
- Including advice on warranties, disclosure process and complex completion accounts mechanism.
- The transaction was complicated by the fact that the purchaser was investing to secure the financial stability of the company by meeting creditors of the target directly.
Interests and Hobbies
Yavan is kept busy with his three small children and has therefore abandoned all hope of a quiet moment to himself or any spare time!
It’s been a real pleasure working recently with Yavan, and the Herrington Carmichael team. They have provided excellent support on property and wider commercial matters – the interaction between teams being seamless. I am certainly planning to keep working with Herrington Carmichael – as someone in my team said recently “What a find!”
Yavan’s approach in dealing with negotiations and in dealing with the city lawyers on a multi-million pound investment were commercially focused, ensured that progress was made and that we concentrated on the areas of the greatest importance.
Herrington Carmichael LLP has coordinated three purchase and sale transactions for us in the last two years. The advice and guidance provided by the corporate team, led by Yavan Brar, has been well explained, commercially sound and supported by well drafted legal documentation. All legal advice, completions and support provided by Yavan and his team was first rate.
Herrington Carmichael LLP’s corporate and commercial offering is led by excellent dealmaker and strong networker, Yavan Brar, who specialises in transactional work, including mergers and acquisitions and corporate re-structuring
The team at Herrington Carmichael advised Cennox on two recent acquisitions and our group refinancing. Throughout these processes I found them very professional, pragmatic and commercial. Resources were available to be brought in when needed to complete transactions to our timetable. I have no hesitation in recommending Yavan and the team.
Yavan Brar is outstanding in finding solutions to every problem. He is committed in terms of his energy, time and strategic mind.