Yavan established the corporate and commercial department in 2008 concentrating on supporting businesses and their commercial requirements. Having built a team of expert corporate and commercial lawyers with a wide range of industry specialisms, Yavan is able to offer pragmatic solutions to complex legal problems.
Yavan, a technically able expert, has extensive experience advising on M&A, corporate restructuring, banking, business ownership issues and intellectual property rights matters.
Experience | Key projects
- Advising on strategic buy, build and sale project: Advising UK headquartered international banking security and maintenance provider on several buy and build acquisitions prior to partial sale to US hedge fund including a rollover of existing management shareholders with a total project value in excess of £100 million.
- Private equity investment into international electronics manufacturer: Advising UK headquartered international electronics manufacturer on investment from private equity investor with an enterprise value of £110 million.
- Demerger and restructure of IT and services infrastructure business: Advising £45 million turnover client on restructuring of its business by way of three cornered demerger to provide for two distinct businesses.
- Acquisition finance and re-finance of leading UK-based developer: Advising client on £25 million senior debt refinance with subordination of then current £10 million junior debt.
- Advising on pre IPO investment facility for home services software provider: Advising client on £15 million investment from overseas listed investment company to include undiluted roll over of existing investors.
- Refinancing for banking security and maintenance provider (Private Equity): Advising on a refinance totalling £21,000,000 including facilities and receivables finance facilities from major UK banks.
Interests and Hobbies
Yavan is kept busy with his three small children and has therefore abandoned all hope of a quiet moment to himself or any spare time!
We had been working with HC as our corporate lawyers for many years, pre-dating the inception of DataOps.live. Yavan and his team were excellent and tireless in their efforts to execute the funding round in a particularly short timescale, especially given the international time zones in consideration. The team were always available, always prepared, and always thinking of mutually acceptable ways to move past any challenges when they arose. We look forward to working with Herrington Carmichael over the coming years as we look to scale Dataops.live with the strategic input of Anthos Capital and Snowflake Ventures.
– Justin Mullen, CEO and Co-founder
It’s been a real pleasure working recently with Yavan, and the Herrington Carmichael team. They have provided excellent support on property and wider commercial matters – the interaction between teams being seamless. I am certainly planning to keep working with Herrington Carmichael – as someone in my team said recently “What a find!”
– Suzy Hardyman, Group General Counsel/Company Secretary, VPS Group
Yavan’s approach in dealing with negotiations and in dealing with the city lawyers on a multi-million pound investment were commercially focused, ensured that progress was made and that we concentrated on the areas of the greatest importance.
– Clayton Sullivan-Webb, Managing Director, Grundon Waste Management Limited.
Herrington Carmichael LLP has coordinated three purchase and sale transactions for us in the last two years. The advice and guidance provided by the corporate team, led by Yavan Brar, has been well explained, commercially sound and supported by well drafted legal documentation. All legal advice, completions and support provided by Yavan and his team was first rate.
– Will Clark, Managing Director and Part owner at Gavin Jones Ltd
Yavan and his team at Herrington Carmichael recently advised us on the assignment of two loans and associated security from third party lenders onto our books. Yavan and Matt provided advice of the highest quality and ensured the transactions completed swiftly. They were available whenever we needed to contact them and kept their advice commercially focused to our specific requirements. We have built a good relationship up with the whole team at Herrington Carmichael and would certainly recommend them.
– Chris Hector, Director
The team at Herrington Carmichael advised Cennox on two recent acquisitions and our group refinancing. Throughout these processes I found them very professional, pragmatic and commercial. Resources were available to be brought in when needed to complete transactions to our timetable. I have no hesitation in recommending Yavan and the team.
– Roy Dodd, Group Finance Director at Cennox
Legal 500 Testimonials
This is a commercially minded practice that is led by a talented lawyer, Yavan Brar, who focuses his team on providing excellence in all they do. The team is genuinely keen to ensure good quality and pragmatic advice for clients and in my experience, this is achieved.
– Legal 500, 2022
Yavan Brar is outstanding in finding solutions to every problem. He is committed in terms of his energy, time and strategic mind.
– Legal 500, 2020
Herrington Carmichael LLP’s corporate and commercial offering is led by excellent dealmaker and strong networker, Yavan Brar, who specialises in transactional work, including mergers and acquisitions and corporate re-structuring.
– Legal 500, 2018
Insights by Yavan Brar
Warrants – an equity kicker on a debt investment: Q&A with Yavan Brar & Chris Gemson of Herrington Carmichael
Equity Warrants are financial instruments which permit debt or equity investors to subscribe for a particular class of shares in an investee company…
Specialist UK-based cloud software distributor, Cloud Distribution has been acquired by the Nuvias Group…
Herrington Carmichael LLP assisted Boom Cycle, the UK’s first boutique cycling business…
Award winning legal advice
We are solicitors in Camberley, Wokingham and London. In 2019, Herrington Carmichael won ‘Property Law Firm of the Year’ at the Thames Valley Business Magazines Property Awards, ‘Best Medium Sized Business’ at the Surrey Heath Business Awards and we were named IR Global’s ‘Member of the Year’. We are ranked as a Leading Firm 2023 by Legal 500 and Alistair McArthur is ranked in Chambers 2022.