Home Secretary announces details of the Hong Kong BN(O) Visa

Jul 23, 2020

The Home Secretary provided some further updates on the Hong Kong BN(O) Visa on 22nd July. The key take-away points are:

  • If you’re a BN(O) citizen, you can already stay in the UK as a visitor for up to 6 months without a visa. As a visitor, you do not have the right to live, work or take up long-term study in the UK.
  • The new route will be open for BN(O) citizens and their close family members from January 2021;
  • Applications can be made both inside and outside the UK;
  • There will be two options:
    • Apply for leave to enter or remain in the UK for an initial period of 30 months, which is extendable by a further period of 30 months; or
    • Apply to enter or remain in the UK for a single period of 5 years.
  • After 5 years of living in the UK, applicants will be able to apply to settle in the UK (“ILR”). After a further period of 12 months with ILR status, applicants can them apply for British citizenship.
  • During the initial period, these applicants will be able to work and study in the UK but will not be eligible to access public funds. Unlike other immigration routes, BN(O) Visa applicants will have access to the job market at any skill level and will not have to meet any salary thresholds.

There are several eligibility requirements to apply for the Hong Kong BN(O) Visa. You will need able to evidence that you:

  • Have BN(O) status – you can use a valid or expired BN(O) citizen passport to evidence this;
  • Normally live in Hong Kong;
  • Can accommodate and support yourself financially in the UK for a period of at least 6 months;
  • Show commitment to learn English;
  • Get a TB test certificate from a Home Office approved clinic; and
  • Pay the immigration fee and the immigration health surcharge.

‘Leave Outside the Rules’

If there is no current immigration route available to you, Border Force may consider granting ‘Leave Outside the Rules’ for a period of 6 months. This can include yourself and your dependants. Evidence required for this route is: your identity; your BN(O) status; that you normally reside in Hong Kong; and that you can accommodate and support yourself financially in the UK.

Dependants include:

  1. Spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner (if together for more than two years);
  2. Children under the age of 18; and
  3. Other family members if there is evidence of a high level of dependency.

Evidence will be required to prove the relationship between yourself and your dependants. This could include marriage certificates, birth certificates and proof of residing together.

If entering via this route, you and your dependants can work and study, but you cannot access public funds or use the NHS for free.

Those eligible to do so will be able to switch to the Hong Kong BN(O) route once it is open, from within the UK.

This reflects the law at the date of publication and is written as a general guide. It does not contain definitive legal advice, which should be sought as appropriate in relation to a particular matter. 

Sherry Fitzgerald

Sherry Fitzgerald

Partner, Head of Immigration


Contact us

    The information you submit will be handled in accordance with our privacy policy.

    We all need to abide by the law and our Insights will help keep you, your family and/or business safe and up to date on how the law affects you.

    Our Insights also include podcast discussions and information about our events and services.

    We will only ever send you information that relates to your preferences and you can opt out at any time.

    Insert your details, then select the updates you wish to receive from the list below.

    Please see our privacy policy regarding use of your data.

    Latest Articles

    Top Legal Insights


    Contract Law

    Material Breach of Contract

    What is a ‘material’ breach of contract by a party to a commercial contract? This is a critical issue regularly considered by the courts. What constitutes a material breach and what are the remedies?

    Property Law

    Commercial Lease: The Financial impact on Landlord and Tenant

    Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the restrictions now in place to control its spread, are having a significant effect on many business sectors.

    Divorce and Family Law

    Divorce in Lockdown: Can I get some discreet legal advice?

    We have spoken to clients who are unfortunately experiencing some family issues, and would like to obtain expert legal advice, yet don’t know how...

    Land & Property Dispute

    Restrictive Covenants – The Price of Modification

    Having identified that your land is burdened by a restrictive covenant and for the purposes of this article the covenant in question will be that only one residential building can be erected on the land. What do you do next?

    Wills, Trusts and Probate

    Why is having a will so important?

    It is entirely up to you if and when you want to create a Will, but it is important to be aware of the consequences of not having a Will.

    Award winning legal advice

    We are solicitors in Camberley, Wokingham and London. In 2019, Herrington Carmichael won ‘Property Law Firm of the Year’ at the Thames Valley Business Magazines Property Awards, ‘Best Medium Sized Business’ at the Surrey Heath Business Awards and we were named IR Global’s ‘Member of the Year’. We are ranked as a Leading Firm 2022 by Legal 500 and Alistair McArthur is ranked in Chambers 2021.

    60 St Martins Lane, Covent Garden, London WC2N 4JS
    +44 (0) 203 755 0557

    Building 2  Watchmoor Park, Riverside Way, Camberley, Surrey  GU15 3YL
    +44 (0)1276 686 222

    Wokingham (Appointment only)
    4 The Courtyard, Denmark Street, Wokingham, Berkshire RG40 2AZ
    +44 (0)118 977 4045


    © 2021 Herrington Carmichael LLP. Registered in England and Wales company number OC322293.

    Herrington Carmichael LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

    Privacy Policy   |   Legal Notices, T&Cs, Complaints Resolution   |   Cookies
    Client Feedback   |  Diversity Data