Co-Parenting: My Ex Wants to change my Child’s School

Oct 30, 2019

When you split from your partner it can be difficult to navigate the process of ‘co-parentingwithout feeling as if you are being ‘frozen out’ of parts of your child’s life.

An example of this is a situation where the residential parent unilaterally decides to change your child’s school. It could be that they have moved to a new area after your separation and it is more convenient for your child to attend a local school. However, for you, the change in school may make it more difficult for you to have meaningful contact time with your child, or, you may be concerned about the additional upheaval in your child’s life.

You may or may not be surprised to learn that if the residential parent decides to apply for a new school place, the new school would not necessarily make efforts to find you and seek your consent.

 In this situation, the first question to ask yourself is: Do I have Parental Responsibility (‘PR’) for my child?

If you have PR, you have the ability to make important decisions that affect the child’s upbringing – which includes where and how they are educated.

 PR is not always a straightforward concept.

A biological mother will automatically have PR, as will a father who is married to the mother either at the time of birth or afterwards. An unmarried father will have PR if they are named on the child’s birth certificate or:

  • they have a Child Arrangements Order in relation to their child which names them as  the residential parent or,
  • they have a court order granting them PR or
  • They have entered into a formal “parental responsibility agreement” with the mother.

Assuming that you have PR, the first thing you should consider is whether you can have a discussion with your co-parent in order to raise your concerns and reach an agreement. If you can’t do that together you could consider mediation and enlisting the help of a neutral third party to facilitate your discussions and help you explore all the options. For more information on our mediation services click here.

If it is not possible to reach an agreement this way, then you may apply to the court for a Specific Issue Order. The court would make an order on the ‘specific issue’ of whether your child should move schools. When deciding the case, the court’s main concern will be the welfare of the child.

 The court might listen to arguments relating to what is more convenient for both parents, but ultimately, their decision will not be informed by these arguments.

When deciding on what is in line with the welfare of the child, the court will look at several factors. These include the child’s emotional and educational needs, the likely effect on them of any change in circumstances and the child’s own wishes and feelings (where they are of sufficient age).

To speak to one our expert solicitors for advice on children matters in general, please contact us on 0119 977 4045.  

This reflects the law at the date of publication and is written as a general guide. It does not contain definitive legal advice, which should be sought as appropriate in relation to a particular matter.















Sign up

Enter your email address for legal updates on Property & Construction Law.

Please see our privacy policy regarding use of your data.

Top read insights in 2019

Contract Law

Material Breach of Contract

What is a ‘material’ breach of contract by a party to a commercial contract? This is a critical issue regularly considered by the courts. What constitutes a material breach and what are the remedies?

Property Law

Purchasing Land – Option Agreements

A developer and a landowner can enter into an Option Agreement. What are the strategies that can be employed by both landowners and developers to assist in such land deals?

Divorce and Family Law

What are the Tax Implications of a Civil Partnership?

Is there a significant tax saving to be made by a couple who are married or in a civil partnership that cohabitating couples simply don’t qualify for?  

Land & Property Dispute

Restrictive Covenants – The Price of Modification

Having identified that your land is burdened by a restrictive covenant and for the purposes of this article the covenant in question will be that only one residential building can be erected on the land. What do you do next?

Wills, Trusts and Probate

Is my Will applicable to my Spanish property?

You must be careful when relying on an English Will in relation to your Spanish property.

Award winning legal advice

We are solicitors in Camberley, Wokingham and London. In 2019, Herrington Carmichael won ‘Property Law Firm of the Year’ at the Thames Valley Business Magazines Property Awards, ‘Best Medium Sized Business’ at the Surrey Heath Business Awards and we were named IR Global’s ‘Member of the Year’. We are ranked as a Leading Firm 2020 by Legal 500 and Alistair McArthur is ranked in Chambers 2020.

Awards | Accreditations 

Accredited Conveyancing Lawyers
Accredited Immigration & Asylum Lawyers
Accredited Conveyancing Lawyers
Accredited Immigration & Asylum Lawyers

60 St Martins Lane, Covent Garden, London, WC2N 4JS 

+44 (0) 203 755 0557


Building 9, Riverside Way, Watchmoor Park, Camberley, Surrey. GU15 3YL. 

+44 (0)1276 686 222


Opening Soon

+44 (0)118 977 4045

© 2020 Herrington Carmichael LLP. Registered in England and Wales company number OC322293.

Herrington Carmichael LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

Privacy   |   Terms and Conditions   |   Cookies   |   Client Feedback