Who could make a claim against my Will?

Feb 15, 2021

Under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975, a testator’s estate, that’s a person who makes a Will and dies domiciled in England and Wales, could be presented with a claim for reasonable provision from the following:

  1. The spouse or civil partner of the deceased;
  2. A former spouse or former civil partner who has not remarried or formed a subsequent civil partnership;
  3. A child of the deceased;
  4. Any person treated by the deceased as a child of the family;
  5. Any person who immediately before the death of the deceased was being wholly or partly maintained financially by the deceased;
  6. Any person who was at the time of the deceased’s death, and during the whole of the preceding two years, living in the same household as the deceased as the spouse of the deceased.

All the above categories could have a valid claim against an estate if adequate, reasonable financial provision was not made for them.

Will a claim against my estate succeed?

Whether a claim will be successful will be entirely at the discretion of the court. In essence, the court may make an award after balancing carefully the wishes of the deceased, the facts of the case, the interests of the beneficiaries and the available assets to satisfy those claims.

The role of the court is to carefully assess the needs of the parties concerned, whether it was the testator’s duty to satisfy those needs, and if it is reasonable for the court to interfere under the terms of the Act.

Caselaw has set out the following principles for the court to consider when hearing a claim:

  • A testator has testamentary freedom but at the same time, he/she has an obligation to make reasonable provision for a spouse or minor children.
  • The approach of the court should be a two-stage process:

o Was reasonable for the testator not to make provision; and

o In the event that the provision or lack of it, is unreasonable, the court must decide at their discretion what provision should be made under the 1975 Act.

In most cases where a dispute over a Will occurs (typically between family members) it is best to seek to resolve any disputes amicably. Where this is not possible then court action might be
the only alternative, but it comes at a cost both personally and financially.

Let us know if you would like to speak to our Private Wealth & Inheritance team about making a Will or with our Dispute Lawyers about contesting a Will, we would be happy to help.

Let us know if you would like to speak to our Private Wealth & Inheritance team about making a Will or with our Dispute Lawyers about contesting a Will, we would be happy to help. Please use the contact form below to send us your enquiry.


This reflects the law at the date of publication and is written as a general guide. It does not contain definitive legal advice, which should be sought as appropriate in relation to a particular matter.

Charlotte Woods

Charlotte Woods

Partner, Head of Private Wealth & Inheritance

Sign up

Enter your email address for legal updates on Private Client & Family Law.

Please see our privacy policy regarding use of your data.

Make a will online

If you would like to start the process of making a will. Fill in our will questionnaire and submit the form by email to our specialist team. We can then create a will tailored for you from the details you provide. 

Latest Articles

What is a cross-border Estate?

What is a cross-border Estate?

When an individual dies, their assets and liabilities are calculated as at the date they died, this is known as that individual’s ‘Estate’.

read more

Top Legal Insights


Contract Law

Material Breach of Contract

What is a ‘material’ breach of contract by a party to a commercial contract? This is a critical issue regularly considered by the courts. What constitutes a material breach and what are the remedies?

Property Law

Commercial Lease: The Financial impact on Landlord and Tenant

Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the restrictions now in place to control its spread, are having a significant effect on many business sectors.

Divorce and Family Law

Divorce in Lockdown: Can I get some discreet legal advice?

We have spoken to clients who are unfortunately experiencing some family issues, and would like to obtain expert legal advice, yet don’t know how...

Land & Property Dispute

Restrictive Covenants – The Price of Modification

Having identified that your land is burdened by a restrictive covenant and for the purposes of this article the covenant in question will be that only one residential building can be erected on the land. What do you do next?

Wills, Trusts and Probate

Why is having a will so important?

It is entirely up to you if and when you want to create a Will, but it is important to be aware of the consequences of not having a Will.

Award winning legal advice

Herrington Carmichael offers legal advice to UK and International businesses as well as individuals and families. Rated as a ‘Leading Firm 2024’ by the legal directory Legal 500 and listed in The Times ‘Best Law Firms 2023 & 2024’. Herrington Carmichael has offices in London, Farnborough, Reading, and Ascot.


60 St Martins Lane, Covent Garden, London WC2N 4JS 

+44 (0) 203 755 0557



Building 2  Watchmoor Park, Riverside Way, Camberley, Surrey  GU15 3YL

+44 (0)1276 686 222


Wokingham (Appointment only)

4 The Courtyard, Denmark Street, Wokingham, Berkshire RG40 2AZ

+44 (0)118 977 4045


© 2020 Herrington Carmichael LLP. Registered in England and Wales company number OC322293.

Herrington Carmichael LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

Privacy   |   Legal Notices, T&Cs, Complaints Resolution   |   Cookies   |   Client Feedback