What is Alienation?

Jul 14, 2020

‘Alienation’ is the right granted in a lease for a tenant to assign, sublet, or share occupation of their property. This is an important factor for tenants when negotiating leases and so this guide will discuss the main alienation provisions in a lease from a tenant’s viewpoint.


Assigning (or transferring) a lease is the method by which a tenant disposes of the remainder of their leasehold interest in the property to a purchaser. This will often arise where a lease is no longer suitable for their needs or if the tenant is looking to sell their business.

The landlord will exercise close control over the assignment and their formal consent will be needed. The Landlord’s consent will be granted via a Licence to Assign and they can also impose conditions on assignment. For example, the outgoing tenant may be required to provide an authorised guarantee agreement (“AGA”), guaranteeing the purchaser’s performance of the obligations in the lease.


Subletting allows the tenant to grant a sublease of either the whole or part of the property to a new tenant. The tenant may either stay in occupation (a sublease of part) or will give up occupation of the whole property to the undertenant (sublease of whole). Again, the landlord may impose conditions on the underletting, such as the existing tenant giving a guarantee for the sub-tenant or the sub-tenant providing their own guarantor to the landlord.

The sublease must be for a term shorter than the lease (usually a couple of days less) and incorporate all the terms of the head lease. The head lease will set out all the conditions which must be complied with and often prescribes the form the underlease should take.

The Tenant should be aware that they will remain liable for terms of their existing lease throughout the term of the underlease.

Sharing occupation

A lease will typically prohibit sharing of the property except where expressly permitted. One of these permissions is the ability to share occupation with group companies. A group company will usually a subsidiary or parent of the original tenant.

Leases will require that there is no landlord and tenant relationship created by the sharing relationship and if one ceases to be a group company then the sharing must end.

Key considerations

Landlord’s consent

The Landlord and Tenant Act 1927 restricts provisions in a lease where the landlord requires consent to assign or sub-let. The landlord is bound such that their consent should not be unreasonably withheld.


As many leases will prevent alienation except in the certain listed circumstances, tenants should consider alienation provisions at the outset of negotiations and ensure their choices for the future are as flexible as possible. The aim being to avoid situations where tenants are unable to dispose of their leasehold interests.

If you require further advice regarding assignment, subletting, sharing occupation or any other Real Estate matter, please contact Daniel York in our Real Estate department. You can also email your query to realestate@herrington-carmichael.com, call 01276 686222 or visit https://www.herrington-carmichael.com/.

This reflects the law at the date of publication and is written as a general guide. It does not contain definitive legal advice, which should be sought as appropriate in relation to a particular matter.

By Daniel York

Partner, Property Law


Contact us

    Sign up below to receive our monthly legal Insight.

    We all need to abide by the law and our Insights will help keep you, your family and/or business safe and up to date on how the law affects you.

    Our Insights also include podcast discussions and information about our events and services.

    We will only ever send you information that relates to your preferences and you can opt out at any time.

    Latest Articles

    Plot Sales FAQs

    Plot Sales FAQs

    Where NHBC (or alternative warranty provider) deal with the warranty and the Building Regulations on a development…

    read more

    Top read insights in 2019

    Contract Law

    Material Breach of Contract

    What is a ‘material’ breach of contract by a party to a commercial contract? This is a critical issue regularly considered by the courts. What constitutes a material breach and what are the remedies?

    Property Law

    Purchasing Land – Option Agreements

    A developer and a landowner can enter into an Option Agreement. What are the strategies that can be employed by both landowners and developers to assist in such land deals?

    Divorce and Family Law

    What are the Tax Implications of a Civil Partnership?

    Is there a significant tax saving to be made by a couple who are married or in a civil partnership that cohabitating couples simply don’t qualify for?

    Land & Property Dispute

    Restrictive Covenants – The Price of Modification

    Having identified that your land is burdened by a restrictive covenant and for the purposes of this article the covenant in question will be that only one residential building can be erected on the land. What do you do next?

    Wills, Trusts and Probate

    Is my Will applicable to my Spanish property?

    You must be careful when relying on an English Will in relation to your Spanish property.

    Award winning legal advice

    We are solicitors in Camberley, Wokingham and London. In 2019, Herrington Carmichael won ‘Property Law Firm of the Year’ at the Thames Valley Business Magazines Property Awards, ‘Best Medium Sized Business’ at the Surrey Heath Business Awards and we were named IR Global’s ‘Member of the Year’. We are ranked as a Leading Firm 2020 by Legal 500 and Alistair McArthur is ranked in Chambers 2020.



    60 St Martins Lane, Covent Garden, London, WC2N 4JS 

    +44 (0) 203 755 0557



    Building 2  Watchmoor Park, Riverside Way, Camberley, Surrey. GU15 3YL

    +44 (0)1276 686 222



    Opening Soon

    +44 (0)118 977 4045


    © 2020 Herrington Carmichael LLP. Registered in England and Wales company number OC322293.

    Herrington Carmichael LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

    Privacy   |   Terms and Conditions   |   Cookies   |   Client Feedback