Student Visa

The Student route enables those aged 16 and over to study in the UK at a school, college or university that holds a sponsor licence.

Contact Us

The Student route enables those aged 16 and over to study in the UK at a school, college or university that holds a sponsor licence.

How long a visa will be granted for will be in line with the duration of the course. Students may be able to extend their leave or apply for new leave. Students may work whilst in the UK, this right is restricted to a specified number of hours per week during term time, while full-time employment may be allowed out of term time.

The Student route does not lead to settlement in the UK. Once an applicant has completed their studies, in order to remain in the UK, they will be required to switch to another visa category.

How can we help?

We have extensive experience of preparing successful Student visa applications on behalf of our clients. We pride ourselves on the presentation of our applications to the Home Office. You can be assured that your application process will be managed in a professional and organised manner.

Student Visa FAQs

What are the requirements for the student visa?

You can apply for the Student visa if you meet the following requirements:

  • Are 16 or over
  • Have been offered a place on a course by a licenced student sponsor
  • Have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course
  • Can understand, speak, read and write English
  • If aged 16-17 – have consent from your parents for the application
Do you need to be enrolled on a course to apply for a student visa?

Yes, your course provider will need to provide you with the reference number from your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) before you can apply for your visa. The CAS confirms your place on the course and you must make your application within 6 months of receiving your CAS. 

Can the application be submitted from overseas?

Yes, this application can be submitted either in the UK or from overseas. You can apply 6 months before the start of your course. 

How long does it take to get a decision on a student visa? 

You should get a decision on your visa within 8 weeks for an application submitted in the UK or within 3 weeks of applying from overseas. Please note, these timeframes are a guideline, and some applications do take longer to receive a decision.

How long before my course starts can I travel to the UK?

You may arrive up to 1 week before your course if it is 6 months or less, or 1 month before your course starts if it is more than 6 months. You may not travel to the UK before the start date stipulated on your visa, regardless of when your course starts. 

What documents do I need to apply?

You will need: 


  • A valid passport
  • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from your course provider

You might also need:

  • proof that you meet the financial requirements and can support yourself
  • a valid ATAS certificate if your course and nationality require it
  • proof of consent from your parent or guardian if you are under 18
  • proof of your relationship with your parent or guadian if consent is required
  • tuberculosis test results if you are from a qualifying country
  • written consent from your financial sponsor if you have received sponsorship for your course fees and living costs

If you need to receive consent from your parent or guardian if you are under 18, it needs to include:

  • their consent for your visa application
  • your living and care arrangements while studying in the UK
  • your travel to the UK (flights, for example)
  • copy of your birth certificate showing the names of your parents



How much does the visa cost? 

The fees charged by Home Office can be found on their official website here

Do I need to pay the healthcare surcharge?

Yes. You will need to pay £1,035 per year that that the visa is valid for. You need to pay the full amount at once. 

What are my financial requirements?

You will need to show that you can support yourself, or that your parents are supporting you. 

More information about the financial requirement can be found on the government website at 

Do I need to meet the English requirement?

Yes. You will need to demonstrate evidence of the language requirement through:

  • Passing a Secure English Language Test (SELT) from an approved provider
  • through a GCSE, A level, Scottish National Qualification level 4 or 5, Scottish Higher or Advanced Higher in English, or from a school in the UK.  

Can I extend my visa? 

You can extend your visa if you will be continuing to study. 

How long can I stay in the UK on this visa?

You can stay for the duration of the course. 

If you are 18 years old or over and are studying at a degree level, you will be able stay for up to 5 years. If you studies are below degree level, you can stay for up to 2 years. 

You can extend your visa if you continue your studies. Or you can switch to a graduate visa.

Can I work while studying?

You will be able to work part-time and in holidays. 

What are the limitations of this visa?

You will not be able to claim public funds or benefits, work in certain jobs, be self-employed or study at a local authority-funded school. 

Meet the Team

Related expertise

Best Law Firms 2024

Herrington Carmichael has once again been named in the Times Best Law Firms. We were first listed in 2023 and have once again made the Best Law Firms list for 2024.

Best Law Firm 2024