Short-Term Study Visa

Study English in the UK
Contact Us

If you want to study the English language in the UK then this visa is for you. This visa applies to English courses lasting longer than 6 months up to 11 months. 

How can we help?

We have experience of preparing successful Visitor visa applications on behalf of our clients. We pride ourselves on the presentation of our applications to the Home Office. You can be assured that your application process will be managed with utmost care. We will be with you every step of the way.

Short-Term Study Visa FAQs

What are the requirements for the student visa?
  • You must be 16 or older.
  • You need to have been accepted into an English language course that lasts longer than 6 months but is no longer than 11 months with no other subjects.
  • The course is with an accredited institution.
  • Enough money to support yourself for the duration of your course.
  • You can pay for your return journey.

If you are under 18, you also need to prove:

  • you have made arrangements for your travel and stay in the UK
  • have consent from your parents and/or guardians to study in the UK
Can the application be submitted from overseas?

Yes, this application can be submitted either in the UK or from overseas. You can apply 6 months before the start of your course. 

How long does it take to get a decision on a short-term study visa? 

Once you’ve applied online and proven your identity, it should take about 3 weeks. Please note, these timeframes are a guideline, and some applications do take longer to receive a decision.

What documents do I need to apply?

You will need: 

  • A valid passport
  • evidence that you can financially support yourself for your trip
  • details of where you will stay and your travel plans – do not pay for anything until your visa is approved
  • evidence that you have paid for your course or have enough money to pay them

You might also need:

  • tuberculosis test results if you are from a qualifying country
  • contact details for atleast one parent or guardian if you are under 18
  • a certified translation of any documents not in English or Welsh
How much does the visa cost? 

The fees charged by Home Office can be found on their official website here

Do I need to pay the healthcare surcharge?

Yes. It usually costs £776 for a short-term study visa so that you can access the National Health Service (NHS) when needed.

How long can I stay in the UK on this visa?

You can stay for the full duration of your course plus 30 days after completion, as long as the total time spent in the UK is less than 11 months. 

Can I work while studying?


What are the limitations of this visa?

You will not be able to:

  • study another course or change courses
  • study at a state-funded school
  • work or carry out any paid or unpaid business
  • extend the visa
  • bring family or dependants with you
  • apply for most public funds or State pension

Meet the Team

Related expertise

Best Law Firms 2024

Herrington Carmichael has once again been named in the Times Best Law Firms. We were first listed in 2023 and have once again made the Best Law Firms list for 2024.

Best Law Firm 2024