Parent of a Child Student Visa

Parents of children between the ages of 4 and 17 who want are studying at an independent school in the UK.
Contact Us

This visa only applies to one parent accompanying the child to the UK. The other parent cannot reside in the UK and cannot join you in the UK. Other children may only join if they are also on a Child Student Visa.

There is a maintenance requirement that must be fulfilled and you must demonstrate that you can maintain your home outside of the UK. You cannot stay in the UK once this visa expires and/or your child is no longer studying in the UK on the Child Student Visa

 How can we help?

We have extensive experience of preparing successful Parent of a Child Student visa applications on behalf of our clients. We pride ourselves on the presentation of our applications to the Home Office. You can be assured that your application process will be managed  timeously and with expertise. 

Parent of a Child Student Visa FAQs

What are the requirements for the Parent of a Child Student visa?

You need to meet all of the below requirements:

  • Your child needs to have or be applying for the Child Student Visa (or have the Tier 4 (Child) visa) for you to be eligible for this visa. 
  • Your child must be between the ages of 4 and 11 when you apply and must be attending an independent school.
  • Only one parent can apply accompany the child, both parents cannot apply for this visa. 
  • You must provide evidence that you have enough money to support yourself and your child in the UK.
  • You must demonstrate that you are able to maintain your home outside of the UK. For example, the other parent is still living there or you are renting it out. 
  • You can show your intent to leave the UK when your visa expires.
Can the application be submitted from overseas?

Yes, this application can be submitted either in the UK or from overseas. You can apply 6 months before you travel to the UK.

How long does it take to get a decision on the visa? 

You should get a decision within 3 weeks of Home Office receiving all of your documents and you have proven your identity. You can pay to get a faster decision.

Can my family join me? 

Your partner cannot join you on this visa. Your other children can only come with you to the UK if they also have a Child Student Visa

What documents do I need to apply?

You will need: 

  • A valid passport
  • Proof that you have enough money to support yourself and your child – unless you are extending your visa

You might also need:

  • tuberculosis test results if you are from a qualifying country
  • certified translations of documents that are not in English or Welsh 
How much does the visa cost? 

The fees charged by Home Office can be found on their official website here

Do I need to pay the healthcare surcharge?

Yes. You will need to pay £1,035 per year that the visa is valid for. You need to pay for the full duration of your visa during your online application. 

What are my financial requirements?

You will need to show that you have enough money to support yourself and your child. 

Money to Support Yourself 

You will need £1,560 per month for you and your child for the 9 months of the academic year.

For each additional child living with your parent on a Child Student visa, you will collectively need an additional £625 per month for 9 months. 

If you are extending your visa
You do not need to prove you can support yourself and your children if you have lived in the UK for 12 months on this visa before extending.

Can I extend my visa? 

You can only stay in the UK on this visa until their visa expires or they turn 12, whichever comes first. You can extend your visa until either of the two abovementioned occurences come into reality. 

Once you leave, you will need to ensure your child is sorted for – either living with family members in the UK or boarding. 

Do I need to have my biometric information taken?

Yes. You will need to make an appointment at visa service point as part of your online application. You will have your photograph taken and provide your fingerprints. 

What are the limitations of this visa?

You will not be able to: 

  • undertake paid work
  • study
  • start a business
  • settle in the UK
  • make use of state benefits
  • bring family members with you other than your child on the visa
  • switch to a different visa

Meet the Team

Related expertise

Best Law Firms 2024

Herrington Carmichael has once again been named in the Times Best Law Firms. We were first listed in 2023 and have once again made the Best Law Firms list for 2024.

Best Law Firm 2024