Frontier Permit

If you want to work in the UK, but live in another country, you will need to apply for the Frontier Permit. 

Contact Us

People who wish to work in the UK while living permanently in another country will need to apply for a Frontier Permit. These are eligible for those who: 

  • are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein
  • live outside of the UK
  • began working in the UK by 31 December 2020

You must have worked in the UK at least once in a 12 month period since you started working here, even if you were unemployed for some of the period during each 12 month cycle. 

Irish citizens do not need to apply for this permit, however may do so if they choose.  British citizens do not need to apply for this. 

How can we help?

We have experience submitting successful applications on behalf of our clients. We pride ourselves on the presentation of our applications to the Home Office. You can be assured that your application process will be managed in a professional and organised manner.


Frontier Permit FAQs

What if I only started working in the UK after 1 January 2021?

You will not qualify for a Frontier Permit. You will need to find an applicable workers visa to apply for. 

What can I do with the Frontier Permit?

You may enter the UK as a Frontier Worker. The permit proves your right to access benefits and services, such as the NHS healthcare.

You will need a digital version to prove your right to work and rent.

How much does the permit cost?

There is no fee associated with this permit. 

Will I need to submit my biometric information?

You may be required to submit your biometric information (photograph and/or fingerprints) at an appointment at the visa application centre or UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point. You will be told you need to attend an appointment during your application process.

Can my family join me on this permit?

No. They may be eligible to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme if they meet the requirements.

What documents do I need to apply?

You will need a valid passport or national identity card. 

Other documents needed will be stipulated during your application process based on the information you enter. Examples of documents they might require include: 

  • an employment contract or a contract to work in the UK
  • payslips or invoices for UK-based work 
What happens after I apply?

Once you have applied and submitted all the required information, you will receive a notification with the decision. 

How long is the permit valid for?

The permit is valid for 5 years. If you applied with retained status, it will be valid for 2 years.

Can I renew my permit?

Yes. You will follow the same process each time. 

Does this lead to settled or pre-settled status? 


Meet the Team

Related expertise

Best Law Firms 2024

Herrington Carmichael has once again been named in the Times Best Law Firms. We were first listed in 2023 and have once again made the Best Law Firms list for 2024.

Best Law Firm 2024