Outdoor seating and pavement licences

Jul 4, 2019

Attention all restaurant, bar and pub owners. Summer now seems to be in full swing, and customers often pick where to drink and dine, based purely on whether they can sit outdoors to enjoy the warmer weather.

Here are some top tips to keep on the right side of the law when offering outside drinking and dining:

Who owns the pavement (or the outside area)?
Unless you own the outside area, or it is demised to you under your lease, you may need:

  • A pavement licence (also known as a “tables and chairs licence” or a “highways licence”). This applies if the outside area is on the pavement used by pedestrians, which will usually be an adopted highway, maintained by the local authority.

Do you need planning permission for outdoor seating?

  • Some councils also require a planning application for change of use and it’s best to check with the local authority in question, as policies differ from council to council.

Does your Premises Licence allow outdoor seating?
Check your Premises Licence as it may have conditions restricting your use of outdoor areas to certain times, or, at all. 

You also need to check that your proposed outdoor space is included in the area shown on your licensing plan for the consumption of alcohol.

Alternatively, you need to ensure that your premises licence allows off-sales of alcohol. If you have neither off-sales, nor a licensed outside area, then you will need to make an application to vary your premises licence

Do you need a licence for customers to go outside and smoke?
If the outside space caters for standing customers only (e.g. to smoke) you do not need a pavement licence, but you still need to be aware of any restrictions on your premises licence such as a limitation in the number of customers that can be outside your premises at the same time.  Outside dining, smoking or drinking can also make your premises vulnerable to complaints from residents about noise, obstruction and litter.

How do you get a Pavement Licence?
If a pavement licence is required, you will need to submit an application to the council’s highways department and possibly the planning department too.  Grant of a pavement licence is entirely discretionary.  You may be required to display a notice at the premises for a set period, including details of the application.  Apply in good time because some local authorities take up to 3 months to give a decision and will also take into account any objections that they may receive.  Any refusal should be accompanied by written reasons.

How long do Pavement Licences last?
Pavement licences usually last 12 months, but may be shorter.  They should be renewed in advance of the expiry date on the licence.

The above is a brief guide to the complex area of outdoor seating and pavement licences. It is intended as a general guide only and should not be relied upon as specific legal advice. For detailed legal advice on outdoor seating and pavement licences please email Maria Guida in the Licensing Team or call her on 01276 686 222.



By Maria Guida

Partner, Property Law
> View profile

Related expertise

> Licensing Law

Sign up

Enter your email address for legal updates on Property & Construction Law.

Please see our privacy policy regarding use of your data.

Award winning legal advice

We are solicitors in Camberley, Wokingham and London. In 2019, Herrington Carmichael won ‘Property Law Firm of the Year’ at the Thames Valley Business Magazines Property Awards, ‘Best Medium Sized Business’ at the Surrey Heath Business Awards and we were named IR Global’s ‘Member of the Year’. We are ranked as a Leading Firm 2020 by Legal 500 and Alistair McArthur is ranked in Chambers 2020.

Awards | Accreditations 

Accredited Conveyancing Lawyers
Accredited Immigration & Asylum Lawyers
Accredited Conveyancing Lawyers
Accredited Immigration & Asylum Lawyers

60 St Martins Lane, Covent Garden, London, WC2N 4JS 

+44 (0) 203 755 0557


Building 9, Riverside Way, Watchmoor Park, Camberley, Surrey. GU15 3YL. 

+44 (0)1276 686 222


Opening Soon

+44 (0)118 977 4045


© 2020 Herrington Carmichael LLP. Registered in England and Wales company number OC322293.

Herrington Carmichael LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

Privacy   |   Terms and Conditions   |   Cookies   |   Client Feedback