Claire works within the Residential Development department, her areas of responsibility include:
- Site acquisitions – options; conditional contracts or unconditional contracts; overage deeds; Legal Charges and mortgage related work;
- Planning agreements – either Unilateral Undertakings or Agreements with the Council;
- Utility Company Deeds – to grant rights for cables/drains, etc in favour of the relevant utility companies;
- Plot Sales – including drafting the contracts, transfers and leases (as appropriate) for the development; acting on the sale of each new build unit.
- Landlord and Tenant – acting for both Landlords and Tenants with a particular emphasis on dealing with healthcare facilities.
- Lease Extensions/Enfranchisement – acting for residential freeholders and leaseholders in the grant of Lease extensions and the acquisition/sale of the freehold reversion.
Experience | Key projects
Landlord and Tenant
- Acted for a Tenant taking a lease of premises in a mixed use development which is in the process of being built.
- Acted for a local landowner in the sale of a mixed use (commercial/residential) site which involved various leases and tenancy agreements and contamination issues.
Lease Extensions/ Enfranchisement
Acted for a management company in granting lease extensions to approximately 60 freehold owners – including drafting the deed of variation of lease; satisfying any mortgagees requirements and preparing the deeds of substituted security for various mortgagees.
Acted for a company in a CVA in disposing of their premises with overage provisions.
- Acted for a developer of prestige houses in acquiring a development site for in excess of £3million by way of a company acquisition (supported by our Company Commercial Dept)
- Acted for a developer in contracting to purchase a development site and then sub-selling the site to another developer with the benefit of planning consent – including advising client on SDLT implications of the transaction.
- Acted on a £14million purchase of an industrial estate for residential development, and completing the ancillary documentation – including Section 278 Agreement Section 106 Agreement and relocation of electricity substation on site.
- Acted for a developer in a complex purchase of a development site for in excess of £5m from a liquidator which included overage provisions which were varied.
Interests and Hobbies
Claire is a keen sports fan; she likes to keep fit by regularly attending the gym and enjoys watching live sport – she can often be found in Guildford supporting Surrey Heath (Basketball) or Guildford Flames (Ice Hockey). Claire is also an avid reader and hopes to write a novel one day!
I have been very impressed both with Claire’s professionalism, and her friendly and responsive manner
Very many thanks for the prompt and efficient way you dealt with all three [plot] sales.
The phrase “outstanding service” is not one I use often, but I have to hand it to you, yet another seamless property transaction completed. Thank you!
Legal Insights by Claire McSorley
This is a much discussed topic where clarification from HMRC has been sought on several occasions and the case of Hyman v HMRC…
Numerous Option Agreements and Conditional Contracts will have various…
During these uncertain times, both Developers and Land Owners alike may be keen to see purchase prices index linked in Option Agreements and Contracts…
Latest Insights - sign up to our Emailers
Our Emailers will bring you the latest news and insights from our legal teams as we look at the key talking points in life and in law.
Our insights will include articles, podcast discussion and information about our events and services.
You can sign up to as many as you wish and you can opt out at any time.
Sign up to our Emailers
Award winning legal advice
We are solicitors in Camberley, Wokingham and London. In 2019, Herrington Carmichael won ‘Property Law Firm of the Year’ at the Thames Valley Business Magazines Property Awards, ‘Best Medium Sized Business’ at the Surrey Heath Business Awards and we were named IR Global’s ‘Member of the Year’. We are ranked as a Leading Firm 2022 by Legal 500 and Alistair McArthur is ranked in Chambers 2021.