Working with the Corporate and Commercial Department since 2010, Alex advises clients on a variety of corporate matters including, share sales and purchases, corporate restructurings, company option schemes and shareholders’ agreements. Alex has extensive experience advising clients in the financial services sector.
Alex is responsible for the firm’s international offering and is a member of the IR Group. For further information please click here.
Experience | Key projects
- Financial advisory business acquisition for £3,500,000.
- The sale of an owner-managed IFA practice for £2,750,000.
- London-based IFA practice on a series of 4 acquisitions, each with a deal value of circa £2,500,000.
- Advising the sellers of an owner-managed regional IFA on its sale of shares for a mix of cash and equity in the acquirer’s business.
- The sale of shares of an IFA business to a mid-market acquirer for a mix of cash and equity, with an ongoing role for the seller.
- The acquisition of an award-winning discretionary fund manager.
- Acquisition of a financial advisory business for £5,600,000.
- Supporting a regional wealth management practice with in excess of 10 acquisitions having a combined deal value of more than £35,000,000.
- Advising multiple business as part of a phase 1 and phase 2 acquisition strategy by a private-equity back consolidator, with each deal in excess of £4,000,000.
- Advising on the sale of an award-winning discretionary fund manager for a consideration in excess of £18,000,000.
- UK intellectual property advice for international organisations on the protection of their portfolio.
- English legal advice on implications of international joint venture and supply contracts
Interests and Hobbies
An active sportsman, Alex can regularly be found playing for his local Sunday league team, watching his beloved Manchester City or on the golf course. Alex is also a keen traveler who uses time away from the office to explore the U.S.A and Europe.
I found Alex and Edward to be responsive, on pint, quick to answer queries, professional, efficient and the ability to explain complex issues in layman’s terms. An excellent service and one I would recommend to all.
– Ian Morrison, Calton Wealth Management
Alex and Ed were throughout very professional as you would expect, but also always available to settle our concerns and talk us through the procedures. Something that they clearly had plenty of experience at, which showed through and gave us confidence. They took control of the situation, kept us informed and moved swiftly to conclude the business sale, for which we were very grateful.
– Alan Weston, Private Client Director, HFMC Wealth
Alex Canham is very knowledgeable – he also has a good appreciation of what is the minimum standard and what represents potentially less commercially needed aspects.
– Legal 500, 2022
Yavan Brar, sets the tone for the whole practice and leads from the front. He has developed an excellent corporate team and brought team members through to partner including the talented Alex Canham who has developed a niche in the financial services sector for the firm.
– Legal 500, 2022
Alex Canham and his team deliver a hands-on and personal service to both vendors and buyers in the financial intermediary market that is backed up by in-depth knowledge and consistent delivery of service in a timely manner.
– Legal 500, 2021
Alex Canham, Ed Beedham and the team did a tremendous job steering us through the sale of Chadney Bulgin. With so many CB Partners involved, their comprehensive presentation of the contracts, together with excellent communication throughout (vital in this type of deal), enabled both a fast & efficient sale process. Much appreciated.
– Wealth Management Business
Alex and Melissa provided a very professional service whilst also ensuring we negotiated some key inclusions and protection into our business sale agreement. Alex was a real ally ensuring that we negotiated the best possible outcomes and found solutions to areas where one didn’t seem to be present. His work alongside Melissa ensured a cohesive delivery of our complex sale – thank you both.
– Richard Lord, Director
Herrington Carmichael were recommended to myself and my fellow directors to act in the selling of our financial services company. Throughout the process I found Alex Canham and Melissa Deutrom to be knowledgeable about our particular industry, they acted in our interests in a diligent but pragmatic way, gave sound advice, were responsive to our requests and focussed on achieving the deadline that we required. I would have no hesitation in recommending them to others in a similar situation.
– Andrew Vince , Seller of a National Financial Advisory Business
When selling a business, you only get one chance to get it right and I will be forever grateful for the skill and advice provided by Alex and his colleagues. Many thanks
-Paul Thomas, Business Development Director, Generic Financial Management Ltd.
A big thank you to Alex and his team in particular Melissa who worked diligently and at all times looked to serve our best interests. They were constantly available to provide reassuring advice through a sometimes difficult transaction and fraught period. Despite the tight deadlines and significant workload I was delighted with their performance.
– Simon Redhead, Managing Director, Wealth Solutions (UK) Ltd
We have worked with Alex Canham and Melissa Deutrom at Herrington Carmichael on two separate acquisitions together with numerous general corporate activities. We have always found them to be highly responsive, timely and accurate. We would definitely recommend them to other financial services companies like ours.
– John Cusins, Lumin Group
Excellent level of service provided by Alex, Joel and the team. Our sale was not particularly straightforward, quality advice provided in a timely manner. I am not sure we could have completed our sale without them. Would highly recommend!
– Steve Burns, Lewis Brownlee Financial
Award winning legal advice
Herrington Carmichael offers legal advice to UK and International businesses as well as individuals and families. Rated as a ‘Leading Firm 2024’ by the legal directory Legal 500 and listed in The Times ‘Best Law Firms 2023 & 2024’. Herrington Carmichael has offices in London, Farnborough, Reading, and Ascot.