Areas of responsibility
Working with the Corporate & Commercial Department since 2010, Alex advises clients on a variety of corporate matters including, share sales and purchases, corporate restructurings, company option schemes and shareholders’ agreements. Alex has particular experience advising clients in the financial services sector and businesses where there is an intellectual property aspect.
Alex is responsible for the firm’s international offering and is a member of the IR Group. For further information please click here.
Alex’s recent experience includes:
- Advising multiple financial advisory businesses on acquisitions and disposals, with consideration ranging from £500,000 to upwards of £20,000,000.
- English legal advice on implications of international joint venture and supply contracts
- Drafting terms and conditions of sale for a variety of national retailers and suppliers.
- A management buy-out for an eight-figure consideration – Advising a leading recruitment company board.
- A fund raising and acquisition programme undertaken in conjunction with a private equity investor.
- An eight-figure refinance & restructuring of its security – London-based nursery chain.
- A joint venture between well-known house developers.
- Advising a well known fashion brand on a six-figure investment and subsequent restructuring of its business.
- The acquisition of the core assets and business of several domiciliary care businesses.
- UK intellectual property advice for international organisations on the protection of their portfolio.
- Brand protection advice to inventor of household name consumer electronics brand.
“I just wanted to add my thanks to you both for your professionalism and support throughout the process. You helped us stay calm through extremely stressful situations and we are very grateful for that.” – Finance Director, National Discretionary Fund Management Business
“Your professionalism and business knowledge were invaluable – particularly as we hit the bumps in the road. You were also a pleasure to deal with. I would have no hesitation in recommending Herrington Carmichael to anyone.”
“We would like to thank Alex and Kate for their professionalism, efficiency and overall patience whilst assisting us in the sale of our business. We found that both Alex and Kate were quick to respond to us and our buyers legal team, there were no unnecessary delays and everything was dealt with promptly and without fuss. Overall we were extremely satisfied and impressed by the service delivered to us.”
“We recently used Alex and the team at Herrington Carmichael to sell our business. We were extremely impressed with both their technical knowledge, and importantly, their commercial awareness. At all times we felt that our interest were being represented professionally and their commitment and actions led to an efficient and successful transfer of the business. I would highly recommend Alex and would certainly use the services of Herrington Carmichael again.”
“We would like to thank Alex and his team for the speed of service and the efficient manner in which the sale of our business was conducted and concluded. Having no experience of the procedures and requirements involved we greatly appreciated their professional help and guidance.”
Robert Duff & Graham MacNeill
“Herrington Carmichael LLP’s lawyers are ‘as sharp with legal knowledge as they are with client care’. Alex Canham made senior solicitor and is also highly regarded.” – Legal 500 UK 2017
“I have worked closely with professional law firms for over 30 years and during that time, no one firm has matched the care, diligence and professionalism of the Team at Herrington Carmichael, ably led by Alex Canham, who understood our regulatory issues and concerns at a very early stage, which filtered through to Kate Eyres and Robert Frampton each in their specialist areas, absolutely seamlessly. When selling a business, you only get one chance to get it right and I will be forever grateful for the skill and advice provided by Alex and his colleagues. Many thanks.” Paul Thomas, Business Development Director, Generic Financial Management Ltd.
Interests and Hobbies
An active sportsman, Alex can regularly be found playing for his local Sunday league team, watching his beloved Manchester City or on the golf course. Alex is also a keen traveler who uses time away from the office to explore the U.S.A and Europe.