Working with the Corporate and Commercial Department since 2010, Alex advises clients on a variety of corporate matters including, share sales and purchases, corporate restructurings, company option schemes and shareholders’ agreements. Alex has extensive experience advising clients in the financial services sector, and businesses where there is an intellectual property aspect.
Alex is responsible for the firm’s international offering and is a member of the IR Group. For further information please click here.
Experience | Key projects
- Financial advisory business acquisition for £3,500,000.
- The sale of an owner-managed IFA practice for £2,750,000.
- London-based IFA practice on a series of 4 acquisitions, each with a deal value of circa £2,500,000.
- Advising the sellers of an owner-managed regional IFA on its sale of shares for a mix of cash and equity in the acquirer’s business.
- The sale of sale of an IFA business to a mid-market acquirer for a mix of cash and equity, with an ongoing role for the seller.
- The acquisition of an award-winning discretionary fund manager.
- Acquisition of a financial advisory business for £5,600,000.
- Supporting a regional wealth management practice with in excess of 10 acquisitions having a combined deal value of more than £35,000,000.
- Advising multiple business as part of a phase 1 and phase 2 acquisition strategy by a private-equity back consolidator, with each deal in excess of £4,000,000.
- Advising on the sale of an award-winning discretionary fund manager for a consideration in excess of £18,000,000.
- UK intellectual property advice for international organisations on the protection of their portfolio.
- English legal advice on implications of international joint venture and supply contracts
Interests and Hobbies
An active sportsman, Alex can regularly be found playing for his local Sunday league team, watching his beloved Manchester City or on the golf course. Alex is also a keen traveler who uses time away from the office to explore the U.S.A and Europe.
Herrington Carmichael were recommended to myself and my fellow directors to act in the selling of our financial services company. Throughout the process I found Alex Canham and Melissa Deutrom to be knowledgeable about our particular industry, they acted in our interests in a diligent but pragmatic way, gave sound advice, were responsive to our requests and focussed on achieving the deadline that we required. I would have no hesitation in recommending them to others in a similar situation.
When selling a business, you only get one chance to get it right and I will be forever grateful for the skill and advice provided by Alex and his colleagues. Many thanks
A big thank you to Alex and his team in particular Melissa who worked diligently and at all times looked to serve our best interests. They were constantly available to provide reassuring advice through a sometimes difficult transaction and fraught period. Despite the tight deadlines and significant workload I was delighted with their performance.
We have worked with Alex Canham and Melissa Deutrom at Herrington Carmichael on two separate acquisitions together with numerous general corporate activities. We have always found them to be highly responsive, timely and accurate. We would definitely recommend them to other financial services companies like ours.
Herrington Carmichael LLP’s lawyers are ‘as sharp with legal knowledge as they are with client care’. Alex Canham is also highly regarded.
Alex and Melissa provided a very professional service whilst also ensuring we negotiated some key inclusions and protection into our business sale agreement. Alex was a real ally ensuring that we negotiated the best possible outcomes and found solutions to areas where one didn’t seem to be present. His work alongside Melissa ensured a cohesive delivery of our complex sale – thank you both.
FREE: Legal Insights and Event News
Keep you, your family and / or business up to date on how the law affects you, by subscribing to one of our legal insights.
Subscribe for free Legal Insights
& Event updates
Award winning legal advice
We are solicitors in Camberley, Wokingham and London. In 2019, Herrington Carmichael won ‘Property Law Firm of the Year’ at the Thames Valley Business Magazines Property Awards, ‘Best Medium Sized Business’ at the Surrey Heath Business Awards and we were named IR Global’s ‘Member of the Year’. We are ranked as a Leading Firm 2020 by Legal 500 and Alistair McArthur is ranked in Chambers 2020.