I am going to inherit some money…what do I do?

Jul 25, 2022

If you are not sure what to do with inheritance, we have outlined some options available to you in this article. There are two potential situations. The first is you think that when your Mum Dad or Auntie dies, you will inherit. The second situation is that your Mum Dad or Auntie has died and you are due to inherit once the estate is administered. 

I may Inherit from an Estate

Broadly speaking you must decide whether you will want to retain the inheritance (to spend or to invest) or would prefer to pass it to your children or some other family member.

Passing on the Investment

Firstly, you should find out whether you are to inherit. Most of the time the inheritance will be under the Will or occasionally the intestacy of Mum Dad or Auntie. You need to try and find out what the situation is and the only way to do this is to ask your relative.

What if there is no Will?

If it turns out there is no Will, you should try to persuade the person involved to make a Will which benefits your children in your place or creates a flexible trust under which the Executors can decide who to benefit. This will usually be decided after consulting with you. If you cannot persuade the person to make a change to their Will, it is possible to do something after you have inherited but for tax reasons it is generally better to get the changes made while your parents or Auntie are still alive.

What if the inheritance is coming from a Trust?

If the inheritance is coming to you from a Trust Fund, you need to find out the terms of the trust. Most commonly the Trust will give you an absolute right to benefit as soon as Mum dies – this is called a “Reversionary Interest” which is a very valuable right. So long as Mum is alive you can give away the Reversionary Interest with absolutely no inheritance tax consequences. The moment Mum dies you own the trust and giving it away would be a gift for Inheritance tax and other purposes. The process of giving away is not difficult but does require proper advice as to how to do this and how to maximise the benefits that can be achieved.

I am Benefitting from an Estate

Next we consider what you can do if your elderly relative has died and you are benefitting under the Will but do not want the inheritance.

The answer is simple, give it away. Be aware the inheritance is then considered a gift for inheritance tax purposes and will impact you and your beneficiaries tax positions in the future. There is a mechanism to avoid the inheritance tax trap and that is to use a Deed of Variation.

The Variation must be done within 2 years of the death of your relative, then the gift which you have made is treated as a gift directly from your relative to your beneficiary and has no impact upon you or your beneficiaries Inheritance tax position. There are potential traps attached to Deed of Variation but this is a fantastic way to benefit your loved ones without adverse tax consequences.

I want to retain the Inheritance to invest

If you want the inheritance either to spend or to bolster your savings, we always recommend you get independent investment advice. If you already have an adviser, they will help you. If you do not have an adviser, take care to make sure the adviser is independent and properly qualified. Watch out for scammers as there are many people out there who would be delighted to relieve you of your inheritance! Check that an adviser is genuine by going to the Financial Conduct Authority website. Remember the old rule that if something you are offered seems too good to be true then it almost certainly is. There is no such thing as a guaranteed return or an absolute guarantee of security, so don’t be tempted by all the offers you see.

How can we help?

At Herrington Carmichael we have extensive experience of dealing with all the above scenarios and can offer extensive advice. For further information about inheritance tax planning please visit our ‘Inheritance Tax Planning‘ webpage, or contact a member of the Private Wealth and Inheritance Team at HCprivateclient@herrington-carmichael.com for advice.

This reflects the law at the date of publication and is written as a general guide. It does not contain definitive legal advice, which should be sought as appropriate in relation to a particular matter.

Anthony Tahourdin

Anthony Tahourdin

Consultant, Private Wealth & Inheritance

Sign up

Enter your email address for legal updates on Private Client & Family Law.

Please see our privacy policy regarding use of your data.

Latest Articles & Legal Insights

A Brief Guide to Agricultural Property Relief

A Brief Guide to Agricultural Property Relief

Agricultural Property Relief is a Tax Planning mechanism available to farmers and landowners to make the transfer of farming land on death less financially burdensome.

What is a cross-border Estate?

What is a cross-border Estate?

When an individual dies, their assets and liabilities are calculated as at the date they died, this is known as that individual’s ‘Estate’.

Q&A: Understanding Power of Attorney

Q&A: Understanding Power of Attorney

By having a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) in place, it allows you to appoint one or two close friends or relatives to make decisions.

What happens to My Bitcoins when I die?

What happens to My Bitcoins when I die?

The lack of a central registry means that without having direct access to the virtual wallet valuing and indeed paying any tax due becomes impossible.

Top Legal Insights


Contract Law

Material Breach of Contract

What is a ‘material’ breach of contract by a party to a commercial contract? This is a critical issue regularly considered by the courts. What constitutes a material breach and what are the remedies?

Property Law

Commercial Lease: The Financial impact on Landlord and Tenant

Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the restrictions now in place to control its spread, are having a significant effect on many business sectors.

Divorce and Family Law

Divorce in Lockdown: Can I get some discreet legal advice?

We have spoken to clients who are unfortunately experiencing some family issues, and would like to obtain expert legal advice, yet don’t know how...

Land & Property Dispute

Restrictive Covenants – The Price of Modification

Having identified that your land is burdened by a restrictive covenant and for the purposes of this article the covenant in question will be that only one residential building can be erected on the land. What do you do next?

Wills, Trusts and Probate

Why is having a will so important?

It is entirely up to you if and when you want to create a Will, but it is important to be aware of the consequences of not having a Will.

Award winning legal advice

Herrington Carmichael offers legal advice to UK and International businesses as well as individuals and families. Rated as a ‘Leading Firm 2024’ by the legal directory Legal 500 and listed in The Times ‘Best Law Firms 2023 & 2024’. Herrington Carmichael has offices in London, Farnborough, Reading, and Ascot.

+44 (0)1276 686 222

Email: info@herrington-carmichael.com

Brennan House, Farnborough Aerospace Centre Business Park, Farnborough, GU14 6XR

Reading (Appointment only)
The Abbey, Abbey Gardens, Abbey Street, Reading RG1 3BA

Ascot (Appointment only)
102, Berkshire House, 39-51 High Street, Ascot, Berkshire SL5 7HY

London (Appointment only)
60 St Martins Lane, Covent Garden, London WC2N 4JS

Privacy Policy   |   Legal Notices, T&Cs, Complaints Resolution   |   Cookies  |   Client Feedback   |  Diversity Data



Our Services

Corporate Lawyers
Commercial Lawyers
Commercial Property Lawyers
Conveyancing Solicitors
Dispute Resolution Lawyers
Divorce & Family Lawyers
Employment Lawyers
Immigration Law Services
Private Wealth & Inheritance Lawyers
Startups & New Business Lawyers

Pay Online >

Please be aware that we have no plans to change our bank details. If you receive any indication that any of our bank details have changed please contact us before sending us any funds. We take no responsibility for monies you transfer into the wrong bank account.

© 2023 Herrington Carmichael LLP. Registered in England and Wales company number OC322293.

Herrington Carmichael LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with registration number 446245.