Agency & Distribution Agreements
Our commercial law team has vast experience in advising, negotiating and drafting both domestic and international agency and distribution agreements, including providing advice on the Commercial Agents Regulations 1993.
Utilising agency and distribution is an effective way of growing your business, boosting sales and increasing jurisdictional reach.
If you are bringing a product to market, then we can assist you not only on your individual distribution agreements (including making the choice as to whether agency or distribution is the most appropriate route to market for your business), but also on your whole distribution strategy, and advise on the practical implications of UK and EU competition law.
We are part of a global network, enabling us to manage and co-ordinate advice on the laws applicable when engaging distributors and agents in other jurisdictions. This expert local knowledge can be vital because the laws applicable to agents and distributors and agents can vary greatly in other jurisdictions, and a lack of local law advice at the outset can lead to expensive and time consuming consequences further down the line.
Herrington Carmichael has acted like an extension of our business. They have been a huge support, have been exceptionally credible in some extremely difficult commercial contractual matters.
Strong commercial and corporate team, offering reliable and practical advice at competitive rates. The quality of advice we have received when instructing the commercial team is comparable to many large City firms we have used but at non-City fees.
Herrington Carmichael has a diverse skillset, covering most requirements. This means we can tackle complex issues knowing that they can call on their colleagues to compliment the analysis.
Commercial Law Team
- All departments
- Agricultural Law
- Co Co - Employee Share Schemes
- Co Co - Recovery & Insolvency
- Co Co - Restructuring
- Co Co Corporate Governance
- Co Co Corporate lending
- Co Co Financial Services
- Co Co Franchising
- Co Co GDPR
- Co Co in-house legal support
- Co Co International Contracts
- Co Co M&A's
- Co Co MBOs & MBIs
- Co Co Partnership and LLPs
- Co Co Regulatory, Compliance & Competition
- Co Co Shareholders Agreements
- Co Co Terms and Conditions
- Co Co- Intellectual Property
- CoCo - Banking and Finance
- CoCo - New Businsess
- CoCo Competition Law
- CoCo Consumer Law
- CoCo Data Protection - Marketing
- CoCo Data, IT & Technology
- Commercial Law
- Commercial Property
- Corporate & Commercial
- Corporate Law
- Debt Recovery
- Dispute Resolution
- Disputes - Business
- Disputes - Declarations of trust
- Disputes - Probate and inheritance
- Disputes - Professional negligence
- Disputes - Restrictive Covenants
- Disputes - Shareholders & Partnership
- Disputes - Tenants in Residential Property
- Disputes - Wills, trusts & probate disputes
- Disputes and Small Claims
- Disputes Construction
- Disputes with Co-owners
- Employee - Termination
- Employer - Termination
- Employment - Business protection
- Employment - Collective consultations
- Employment - Contracts, services, consultancy
- Employment - Employee benefits
- Employment - Employee Procedures
- Employment - Equality, discrimination and harassment
- Employment - Family Friendly Rights
- Employment - GDPR and Data Protection
- Employment - Post employment obligations
- Employment - Redundancy & Reorganisation
- Employment - Settlement Agreements
- Employment - Tribunal Claims
- Employment - TUPE
- Employment - Wages, holiday and sick pay
- Employment - Workers rights
- Employment Tribunal claims
- Estate Administration
- Expat Legal Services
- Family Law
- Financial Services
- Help to Buy
- Immigration law
- International Legal Services
- Key Property Contacts
- Land and Property Disputes
- Land, development and construction
- Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Licensing Law
- Money, Tax and Inheritance
- New Build Conveyancing
- Private Wealth and Inheritance
- Professional Negligence
- Property Finance
- Property Law
- Residential Property
- Residential Property - Completions
- Residential Property - Shared Ownership
- Trainee Solicitor
- Wills, Trusts & Probate
Insights & News
One of the hot topics of speculation surrounding the changes brought in by the act was talk of a significant increase to Companies House fees.
Herrington Carmichael’s specialist healthcare M&A team were delighted to assist the sellers of Simplee Ceramics Ltd
Herrington Carmichael has advised the NYSE listed satellite communications company SatixFy Communications Ltd.
We understand the legal challenges that in-house lawyers face in ensuring alignment between legal advice and business objectives…
In-house legal teams are increasingly turning to artificial intelligence technology to streamline their operations and enhance efficiencies.
The Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) is a government program that helps fund early-stage companies and provides tax benefits to investors.
Recent Commercial Law Cases
Wealth Management Contract
Herrington Carmichael were instructed to advise on and negotiate a SAAS development and services agreement between a wealth management business and a wealth management platform service provider. Complexities included ensuring appropriate business continuity plans were in place (including software escrow arrangements), and ensuring compliance with the FCA rules on outsourcing to the cloud.
Commercial contract for new product
The commercial law team were instructed to advise on and negotiate a new product design agreement, development agreement and manufacturing agreement for a new product for use in the security sector. As part of the project, Herrington Carmichael were required to ensure a back to back contract was entered into with suitable flow down provisions to the key parts manufacturer.
A Complex Global Software Distribution Agreement
Herrington Carmichael were instructed to advise on and negotiate firstly an Australian and then a global software distribution agreement. Complexities included negotiating with a global business with strict contractual requirements and policies, whilst seeking to ensure a favourable position to our client. We were also required to manage the local law advice in respect of contracts governed by foreign laws and further to ensure that suitable terms were imposed on resellers commensurate to the protections required by our client.
The impacts of COVID-19
Businesses are facing increasing uncertainty in light of the rapidly evolving Covid 19 (Coronavirus) situation.
Coronavirus is having an unprecedented impact on the business and personal lives of everyone. Putting aside the obvious complications of trying to avoid social contact and staying healthy; the next big headache is how to keep businesses moving forward properly.
Award winning legal advice
Herrington Carmichael offers legal advice to UK and International businesses as well as individuals and families. Rated as a ‘Leading Firm 2024’ by the legal directory Legal 500 and listed in The Times ‘Best Law Firms 2023 & 2024’. Herrington Carmichael has offices in London, Farnborough, Reading, and Ascot.