Transit Visa

When you pass through the UK on your way to another country, you might need a transit visa.

Contact Us

The Transit visa is applicable to people who do not have an EU Settlement Scheme family permit, Home Office travel document, Standard Visitor Visa, or a Marriage Visitor Visa. You can check here if you want to see if you need one. 

The type of transit visa you apply for depends on whether you are or are not going through border control.

How we can help

We have experience of preparing successful applications on behalf of our clients. We pride ourselves on the presentation of our applications to the Home Office. You can be assured that your application process will be managed in a professional and organised manner.

Transit Visa FAQs

What are the different types of Transit Visas?

Direct Airside Transit Visa is for when you are changing flights in the UK and will not go through UK border control.

Visitor in Transit Visa is for when you do go through UK border control but will be leaving the UK within 48 hours of arriving.
If you intend to stay for more than 48 hours, you will need to apply for a Standard Visitor Visa.
Which Transit visa will I need?

The Direct Airside Transit visa is for people with connecting flights and no need to go through border control.

For the Visitor in Transit visa:

  • you are changing flights in the UK on your way to another country
  • you are going through UK border control, to check in your luggage for a connecting flight as an example
  • leaving the UK within 48 hours
  • will not be working or studying while in the UK


What if I am travelling through the UK to go to the Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Ireland?

You might need to apply for the Standard Visitors visa to visit one of these countries and are passing through the UK. You do not need any visa if:

  • you have a valid visa for the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man
  • you have a valid Irish biometric visa (marked as ‘BC’ or ‘BC BIVS’ in the remarks section)
What documents do I need?

If you are not a national of the country you are travelling to, you will need to show evidence of allowed entry such as a resident permit, a green card or a valid visa.

If you are not a resident, they may ask why you are going and provide the details of where you are staying.

You may be asked to prove your onward journey through showing evidence like a flight booking confirmation, a ticket or boarding pass, or confirmation from a travel agent.

It is recommended to bring these documents with you as you travel through the UK. 

How much does this visa cost?

The Direct Airside Transit visa costs £35 and the Visitor in Transit visa costs £64. 

Meet the Team

Related expertise

Best Law Firms 2024

Herrington Carmichael has once again been named in the Times Best Law Firms. We were first listed in 2023 and have once again made the Best Law Firms list for 2024.

Best Law Firm 2024