Our Family Law specialists are experts in providing advice and support on matrimonial finances.
The court has a wide discretion to deal with the finances on the breakdown of a marriage and will ultimately do what is fair in all the circumstances of your individual case. It is important that you take advice at the earliest possible opportunity.
Our family team has a strong reputation for dealing with complex and high net worth divorce and financial settlements. Our team is also experienced in advising on complex commercial financial arrangements including those where a family business is involved. We have experience in dealing with trusts, offshore assets, inherited wealth and tax concerns. Where necessary, we work closely with our colleagues who specialise in trusts law, commercial litigation and corporate and commercial law to ensure that you are receiving the best possible advice.
There are a number of options available to you when reaching a financial settlement and insofar as possible, we will work with you to negotiate a financial settlement with your spouse or their solicitor without the need to attend court. We take a pragmatic, realistic and commercial approach to settlement for all of our clients. Where court proceedings become necessary, however, our team are able to advise effectively on the strategy to ensure a fair outcome for you. We can also discuss with you alternative options to dispute resolution such as mediation and private FDR and arbitration.
- All departments
- Agricultural Law
- Banking and Finance
- Business Disputes
- Commercial Law
- Competition Law
- Construction disputes
- Consumer Law
- Corporate - MBOs & MBIs
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Law
- Corporate lending
- Data, IT & Technology
- Debt Recovery
- Disputes - Declarations of trust
- Disputes - Land and Property
- Disputes - Probate and inheritance
- Disputes - Professional negligence
- Disputes - Restrictive Covenants
- Disputes - Shareholders & Partnership
- Disputes - Tenants in Residential Property
- Disputes - Wills, trusts & probate disputes
- Disputes and Small Claims
- Disputes with Co-owners
- Employee - Termination
- Employer - Termination
- Employment - Business protection
- Employment - Collective consultations
- Employment - Contracts, services, consultancy
- Employment - Employee benefits
- Employment - Employee Procedures
- Employment - Equality, discrimination and harassment
- Employment - Family Friendly Rights
- Employment - GDPR and Data Protection
- Employment - Post employment obligations
- Employment - Redundancy & Reorganisation
- Employment - Settlement Agreements
- Employment - Tribunal Claims
- Employment - TUPE
- Employment - Wages, holiday and sick pay
- Employment - Workers rights
- Employment Tribunal claims
- Estate Administration
- Expat Legal Services
- Family Law
- Financial Services
- Immigration law
- Intellectual Property
- International Legal Services
- Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Licensing Law
- Money, Tax and Inheritance
- New Businsess
- Property Law
- Recovery & Insolvency
- Regulatory, Compliance & Competition
- Residential Property - Completions
- Residential Property - Conveyancing
- Residential Property - Shared Ownership
- Residential Property – Help to Buy
- Residential Property – New Build
- Wills, Trusts and Probate
- Acting for an advising a client who had received significant gifts over the course of the marriage from the parents. The client was awarded in excess of 50% of the assets.
- Acting for and advising a high net worth client who held business interests with their spouse. The value of the business became a point of contention during the course of financial remedy proceedings issued by the other party and it proved necessary to appoint a forensic accountant to report on the value of the company, liquidity and tax implications of a sale or transfer of shares from one party to the other.
- Acting for and advising a high net worth client on a division of the matrimonial assets following a short marriage. The case settled out of court and we were able to successfully negotiate a settlement whereby the majority of the assets (including high value properties held by a business in which the client had a shareholding) were retained by our client.
- Acting for and advising high net worth overseas clients on the successful negotiation of a matrimonial settlement, including property abroad and in the UK and business interests.
- Acting for and advising a client concerning a dispute involving children whereby the unmarried ex-partner made a claim for capital, top up of child maintenance and payment of school fees under Schedule 1 Children Act 1989.
- Acting for and advising clients in respect of Children Act applications, applications for non-molestation and occupation orders, and applications to vary old maintenance orders.
Latest news & insights
Dealing with business assets on divorce can be costly, stressful and in some circumstances, force a business to break up.
Whilst the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent lockdown has thrown many matters into disarray…
The guidance from the courts indicates that as far as possible, courts will continue to be operational during lockdown.