Data, Media & Entertainment Lawyers
Brand & Reputation Management
A positive brand reputation ensures that customers remain loyal and confident in the goods and services a business provides to them. In turn, there are mechanisms that businesses can implement to solidify their identity within their sector of business.
If a business or consumer is benefitting by infringing your brand, it is important to act appropriately to prevent the other business from benefitting from your investment, to preserve your goodwill and also to lower the risk of confusion for your customers.
We assist clients with the full lifecycle of brand protection from brand establishment and registration, brand licensing and brand protection. Services we provide include:
- Advice on brand set up and registration, including trademarks.
- Brand licensing and monetisation
- Privacy protection, including in respect of image rights
- Defamation advice and claims
- Copyright infringement
Protecting your brand and business assets
It is important for businesses to protect their assets and this includes the non-tangible assets that the business owns. Registering your ownership of those assets that can be registered is key but equally important is vigilance to stop unauthorised use. It is important to take action to stop other individuals and businesses from infringing your rights so as to protect your valuable assets.
For further information, please click here.
Intellectual property infringement
We are experienced in resolving disputes regarding Intellectual Property, providing pragmatic and commercial advice. Often disputes such as these can be resolved without the need to resort to litigation and early involvement from us can help ensure that the infringement is stopped promptly.
In 2009, we saw a huge influx of bloggers and YouTubers. Fast forward to 2023 and many companies are now expanding their own social media platforms to boost sales and grow an online presence.
Particularly on apps such as Instagram and TikTok, digital marketing has risen substantially as companies often promote their businesses on these platforms – particularly through the use of paid/branded sponsorships and influencer marketing.
Our Influencer Lawyers provide our clients with a wide range of services – both for businesses interested in engaging with influencers and influencers respectively needing advice on new partnership and branding deals.
Areas of expertise
- Influencer agreements
- Regulatory & compliance advice – for example, the CAP Codes
- Commercial contracts
- Joint venture agreements
- Branding partnerships and brand licensing
- Sponsorship agreements
- Wealth management
Social Media Lawyers
Our Social Media Lawyers offer our clients support in talent and influencer representation and engagement – to ensure that they always stay ahead of the curve in this fast-paced and dynamic sector that is social media. We provide pragmatic guidance to help our clients navigate the commercial and regulatory landscapes and cover a broad range of topics, such as compliance with regulatory codes, licensing, notification requirements, and regulatory interventions. We also assist with the practical elements of a deal, including negotiating influencer agreements and brand partnerships and registering trademarks.
We have experience in providing advice to both UK and internationally based clients on the advertising laws and rules that must be adhered to when advertising within the UK.
Areas of expertise
- Influencer agreements
- Defamation on social media
- Harassment on social media
- Online terms and conditions
- Social media copyright issues
- Social media policy for employers
- Licensing agreements, including music licensing
- Talent agreements
- Joint Ventures
- Software as a Service Agreements
- Services Agreements
- Terms & Conditions
- Shareholder Agreements
Digital, Data & Advertising Lawyers
With 4.26 billion yearly users globally, it is undeniable that social media plays a significant and important role in both our personal and professional lives.
Gone are the days where consumers need to physically shop and businesses are instead investing in digital marketing strategies as an advantageous approach to both B2B and B2C transactions.
Our Lawyers provide a whole host of services in the digital, data & advertising sector, including regulatory and consumer protections of personal data.
Areas of expertise
- Advertising Lawyers
- Commercial Contracts
- Trademark Registration
- Design Registration
- Digital Marketing Lawyers
- Digital advertisement guidance and regulations
- Endorsements and influencers
Our experienced Intellectual Property Law team is well recognised, having worked with household names and international brands.
What is Intellectual Property?
Intellectual Property encompasses a vast and diverse array of business property from software and other copyright materials, to designs and logos and inventions and processes. The laws surrounding Intellectual Property fall into a number of areas including copyright, trade marks, design rights and patents.
We are well placed to assist with all of your intellectual property law requirements – for further details please click here.
Regulation & Compliance
As well as Data Protection, Consumer Law and Competition law matters, our Regulatory & Compliance Lawyers will be able to assist with a wide range of regulatory and compliance matters, including financial services, international sanctions and industry sector product marketing and sale legislation, including pharmaceuticals and cosmetics legislation.
Areas of expertise
- Data protection lawyers
- Compliance lawyers
- Compliance and regulation
- Consumer protection
- Consumer law
- Competition law
- Data breach
Data, Media & Entertainment Team
- All departments
- Agricultural Law
- Co Co - Employee Share Schemes
- Co Co - Recovery & Insolvency
- Co Co - Restructuring
- Co Co Corporate Governance
- Co Co Corporate lending
- Co Co Financial Services
- Co Co Franchising
- Co Co GDPR
- Co Co in-house legal support
- Co Co International Contracts
- Co Co M&A's
- Co Co MBOs & MBIs
- Co Co Partnership and LLPs
- Co Co Regulatory, Compliance & Competition
- Co Co Shareholders Agreements
- Co Co Terms and Conditions
- Co Co- Intellectual Property
- CoCo - Banking and Finance
- CoCo - New Businsess
- CoCo Competition Law
- CoCo Consumer Law
- CoCo Data Protection - Marketing
- CoCo Data, IT & Technology
- Commercial Law
- Commercial Property
- Corporate & Commercial
- Corporate Law
- Debt Recovery
- Dispute Resolution
- Disputes - Business
- Disputes - Declarations of trust
- Disputes - Probate and inheritance
- Disputes - Professional negligence
- Disputes - Restrictive Covenants
- Disputes - Shareholders & Partnership
- Disputes - Tenants in Residential Property
- Disputes - Wills, trusts & probate disputes
- Disputes and Small Claims
- Disputes Construction
- Disputes with Co-owners
- Employee - Termination
- Employer - Termination
- Employment - Business protection
- Employment - Collective consultations
- Employment - Contracts, services, consultancy
- Employment - Employee benefits
- Employment - Employee Procedures
- Employment - Equality, discrimination and harassment
- Employment - Family Friendly Rights
- Employment - GDPR and Data Protection
- Employment - Post employment obligations
- Employment - Redundancy & Reorganisation
- Employment - Settlement Agreements
- Employment - Tribunal Claims
- Employment - TUPE
- Employment - Wages, holiday and sick pay
- Employment - Workers rights
- Employment Tribunal claims
- Estate Administration
- Expat Legal Services
- Family Law
- Financial Services
- Help to Buy
- Immigration law
- International Legal Services
- Key Property Contacts
- Land and Property Disputes
- Land, development and construction
- Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Licensing Law
- Money, Tax and Inheritance
- New Build Conveyancing
- Private Wealth and Inheritance
- Professional Negligence
- Property Finance
- Property Law
- Residential Property
- Residential Property - Completions
- Residential Property - Shared Ownership
- Trainee Solicitor
- Wills, Trusts & Probate
New rules have been developed to ensure responsible advertising of alcohol alternatives and to protect consumers from potential harm.
The ICO has cautioned website operators that they should anticipate the commencement of UK enforcement regarding non-compliance with cookie regulations.
Meta was fined an astonishing EUR 1.2bn for the mishandling of user’s data. The fine was imposed by Ireland’s Data Protection Commission.
Herrington Carmichael has been advising families and businesses for over 175 years. We provide an increasingly specialist legal practice – we offer a wide range of services, beyond that of a traditional private client firm to meet the demands of our UK and international clients.
Award winning legal advice
Herrington Carmichael offers legal advice to UK and International businesses as well as individuals and families. Rated as a ‘Leading Firm 2024’ by the legal directory Legal 500 and listed in The Times ‘Best Law Firms 2023 & 2024’. Herrington Carmichael has offices in London, Farnborough, Reading, and Ascot.