Stephen is the Head of Dispute Resolution. He has a wealth of experience dealing with complex commercial disputes in the High court and in particular the Business and Property Courts. He acts for a variety of UK and international companies as well as high net worth individuals with cases encompassing areas such as technology sector disputes, product liability claims, intellectual property, breach of trust, corporate and shareholder disputes and injunctive relief.
Stephen’s approach is to gain an understanding of the client’s business and the underlying issues facing the products or services involved in the dispute and the client’s key drivers as this is equally as important as the legal issues in play.
Stephen is a member of the Society for Computers and Law and is a CEDR qualified mediator.
Experience | Key projects
- Acting for financial services company in litigation with a former director in respect of the compulsory transfer of the director’s shares, a claim for a share option and allegations of breach of contract arising from the director’s dismissal.
- Acting for an international ancient art dealership in two disputes with a Qatari owned private investment company and Sheikh over the authenticity of antiquities that it sold.
- Defending an international medical devices company in a product liability group litigation claim.
- Acting for a property investment company and high net worth individuals in a series of claims involving breach of trust arising from the financial settlement in a £60million divorce.
- Obtaining a freezing injunction against the perpetrators of a Ponzi style investment scheme.
- Acting for a software ‘bot’ creating company in a breach of intellectual property claim brought by an international computer game company.
Interests and Hobbies
Keen club Tennis player, Japanese food and cooking, setting and taking part in quizzes and more recently has re-discovered a guilty pleasure in the meditative process of building Lego.
Award winning legal advice
Herrington Carmichael offers legal advice to UK and International businesses as well as individuals and families. Rated as a ‘Leading Firm 2024’ by the legal directory Legal 500 and listed in The Times ‘Best Law Firms 2023 & 2024’. Herrington Carmichael has offices in London, Farnborough, Reading, and Ascot.