Shakira is a solicitor in the family department based in the Wokingham office. Passionate about helping her clients, Shakira deals with a range of family matters including divorce, finances and children. Shakira is also a member of Resolution and the Thames Valley Family Lawyers’ Society.
Experience | Recent Projects
- Having achieved a first class law degree and a distinction on the LPC, Shakira completed her training and qualified as a Solicitor with one of the UK’s Top 100 law firms. She then moved on to work at a small practice in Gloucestershire before joining Herrington Carmicheal in the summer of 2019.
- Shakira was involved in a successful emergency leave to remove application, which allowed her client to remove her child from the jurisdiction and temporarily reside in the USA. The proposal to relocate was initially opposed by the child’s father, however after strong negotiations with his solicitor, Shakira was able to obtain the father’s consent to the application and have the terms of the relocation recorded in a Consent Order.
- Shakira ran a case against a mother who did not return the child to her father’s care after spending time with the child. Shakira issued proceedings for an emergency order, ordering the mother to return the child to the father’s care. Shakira also obtained a prohibited steps order preventing the mother from removing the child from the father’s care in the future. Shakira advised the father in relation to obtaining a Child Arrangements Order, to regulate child care arrangements for the future in order to avoid the distress of any future unlawful removals of the child from his care.
- Shakira has advocated at a First Hearing in relation to children proceedings, representing a father who wanted to spend time with his children.
- Shakira successfully made an application to vary the terms of a Child Arrangements Order.
Shakira’s experience includes:
- Representing a wife in divorce proceedings, Shakira made a S37 Matrimonial Causes Act application to set aside the transfer of a property in Cyprus. The property was the former family home and the husband had transferred the property to his mother in order to prevent the client from making a claim against it in the divorce proceedings.
- Shakira was successful in representing the applicant in a contested case relating to the enforcement of lump sum payments pursuant to a Court Order. Shakira completed the day to day work on the file including drafting the statement of the applicant that was filed with the court. At the final hearing, after reading the statement, the judge decided that he did not need to hear any submissions and ordered that the respondent pay the applicant the lump sum payments and interest. Shakira also argued for a charge to be secured against the respondent’s property and this was also ordered by the judge.
- Various without prejudice negotiations/open negotiations to reach financial settlements avoiding the need to go to Court.
- Running a financial case which included a complex discretionary trust. Shakira had to persuade the court that the trust was outside the matrimonial pot and therefore the wife should not be entitled to vary it.
- Seeking directions at FDA hearings.
- Assisting with complex negotiations at FDR hearings.
Family Law Act proceedings
- Shakira advised and represented a client at Court in relation to non-molestation proceedings
Interests and Hobbies
Shakira values spending time with family and friends. She also enjoys playing netball and binge watching episodes of anything interesting on Netflix!
Shakira is passionate about helping the next generation of lawyers and has delivered presentations, workshops and one on one sessions to younger students and those considering a career in the legal profession
I feel much more confident in the whole process and I’m very pleased that it is you who is helping me- Family Client
Shakira is a “safe pair of hands”- Family Client