Working in the Corporate and Commercial department since 2012, Matt predominantly acts for clients with corporate legal requirements. With a specialism in data protection and privacy law and as a certified member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals, Matt is able to advise clients on complex data protection and GDPR matters as well as wider corporate matters.
Experience | Recent Projects
Matt has helped multiple clients on complete GDPR compliance project programs including project management and delivery on budget, drafting privacy notices, data handling policies, processing agreements, records of processing and provision of bespoke advice based on understanding the commercial requirements of each client. Clients included:
- A linen and laundry company with 1300 employees
- A specialist resourcing and consultancy firm with 4000 associates
- An international cosmetics company
- The European arm of an international car parts manufacturer and supplier
- A global provider of integrated professional services
- A UK based travel agent and tour operator
- A cloud service provider of email signature software
- An international cloud service provider of regulatory report, capital adequacy and risk management solutions
- The UK subsidiary of a German manufacturer of high quality garden and power tools
- A hotel operator
- A care home operator
- On a complex restructuring and £18 million share sale on the basis of a trade sale creating a £65 million group.
- On a the sale of the entire issued share capital of a photocopying and printing leasing and service company with particular focus on the restrictive covenants to be provided by his clients.
- On the purchase of a special ATM services group with a complex payment structure and employee benefit provisions.
Interests and Hobbies
Matt enjoys watching rugby and walking his Bulldog-Rottweiler cross called “Nacho”.
Thanks so much for all of your help on our GDPR compliance. We really appreciate your efforts and it’s been a pleasure working with you, and we particularly appreciate your guiding us through such a complex topic – though I’m sure we’ll come back to you frequently with questions!
Thanks for all your help along the way Matthew. We wouldn’t be where we are without you & your firm.
I would like to express my gratitude to Matt, Cesare and the Herrington Carmichael team for your specialist advice on the GDPR and for producing a sound set of commercial terms and conditions. Your professional services have been invaluable as my website now stands in good stead for the future. Thank you.
Having the best legal assistance was an essential part of becoming GDPR compliant. I was delighted with the work Herrington Carmichael undertook for us. Their employee and commercial leads helped us to complete the project on time, covering a multitude of topics, such as Data Audits, Privacy Notices and Processing agreements
I am delighted with the support and knowledge from the entire team at Herrington Carmichael throughout our GDPR compliance project. What seemed like a daunting process 6 months ago was a seamless project from start to finish. I would have absolutely no hesitation recommending Herrington Carmichael to anyone
Articles written by Matthew Lea
IR Global – The future of Data Privacy
As we enter the age of Artificial Intelligence and the Internet of Things, our personal data matters more than ever. In the following guide you’ll hear from 23 legal experts from across the globe, including our very own, Matthew Lea, discuss data privacy laws in response to GDPR .