Working in the Corporate and Commercial department since 2012, Matt acts for clients with corporate legal requirements including advising on acquisitions, sales and corporate restructuring. With additional qualifications in data protection and privacy law, Matt is able to advise clients on complex data protection and GDPR matters.
Experience | Key projects
- Advising on strategic buy, build and sale project: Advising UK headquartered international banking security and maintenance provider on several buy and build acquisitions prior to partial sale to US hedge fund including a rollover of existing management shareholders with a total project value in excess of £100 million.
- Private equity investment into international electronics manufacturer: Advising UK headquartered international electronics manufacturer on investment from private equity investor with an enterprise value of £110 million.
- Demerger and restructure of IT and services infrastructure business: Advising £45 million turnover client on restructuring of its business by way of three cornered demerger to provide for two distinct businesses.
- Advising on pre IPO investment facility for home services software provider: Advising client on £15 million investment from overseas listed investment company to include undiluted roll over of existing investors.
- Advising on restructuring and sale project: Advising national grounds, landscape and maintenance contractor client on pre-sale restructure and subsequent £18 million shares sale creating a trading group with £65 million turnover.
Matt has helped multiple clients on complete GDPR compliance project programs including project management and delivery on budget, drafting privacy notices, data handling policies, processing agreements, records of processing and provision of bespoke advice based on understanding the commercial requirements of each client. Clients included:
- A linen and laundry company with 1300 employees
- A specialist resourcing and consultancy firm with 4000 associates
- An international cosmetics company
- The European arm of an international car parts manufacturer and supplier
- A global provider of integrated professional services
- A UK based travel agent and tour operator
- A cloud service provider of email signature software
- An international cloud service provider of regulatory report, capital adequacy and risk management solutions
- The UK subsidiary of a German manufacturer of high quality garden and power tools
- A hotel operator
- A care home operator
Interests and Hobbies
Matt enjoys watching rugby and walking his Bulldog-Rottweiler cross called “Nacho”.
Thanks so much for all of your help on our GDPR compliance. We really appreciate your efforts and it’s been a pleasure working with you, and we particularly appreciate your guiding us through such a complex topic – though I’m sure we’ll come back to you frequently with questions!
Thanks for all your help along the way Matthew. We wouldn’t be where we are without you & your firm.
I would like to express my gratitude to Matt, Cesare and the Herrington Carmichael team for your specialist advice on the GDPR and for producing a sound set of commercial terms and conditions. Your professional services have been invaluable as my website now stands in good stead for the future. Thank you.
Having the best legal assistance was an essential part of becoming GDPR compliant. I was delighted with the work Herrington Carmichael undertook for us. Their employee and commercial leads helped us to complete the project on time, covering a multitude of topics, such as Data Audits, Privacy Notices and Processing agreements
Yavan and his team at Herrington Carmichael recently advised us on the assignment of two loans and associated security from third party lenders onto our books. Yavan and Matt provided advice of the highest quality and ensured the transactions completed swiftly. They were available whenever we needed to contact them and kept their advice commercially focused to our specific requirements. We have built a good relationship up with the whole team at Herrington Carmichael and would certainly recommend them.
I am delighted with the support and knowledge from the entire team at Herrington Carmichael throughout our GDPR compliance project. What seemed like a daunting process 6 months ago was a seamless project from start to finish. I would have absolutely no hesitation recommending Herrington Carmichael to anyone
Legal Insights by Matthew Lea
Our Corporate team regularly assist clients with separating their businesses, via demergers and other forms of corporate reorganisation.
The post-COVID-19 M&A market is a buyer’s market. Buyers are taking advantage of target businesses…
You’ve put effort into making your business into the success it is so far, so on exit what are the things you need to do to maximise the value for you?
IR Global – The future of Data Privacy
As we enter the age of Artificial Intelligence and the Internet of Things, our personal data matters more than ever. In the following guide you’ll hear from 23 legal experts from across the globe, including our very own, Matthew Lea, discuss data privacy laws in response to GDPR .
FREE: Legal Insights and Event News
Keep you, your family and / or business up to date on how the law affects you, by subscribing to one of our legal insights.
Subscribe for free Legal Insights
& Event updates
Award winning legal advice
We are solicitors in Camberley, Wokingham and London. In 2019, Herrington Carmichael won ‘Property Law Firm of the Year’ at the Thames Valley Business Magazines Property Awards, ‘Best Medium Sized Business’ at the Surrey Heath Business Awards and we were named IR Global’s ‘Member of the Year’. We are ranked as a Leading Firm 2020 by Legal 500 and Alistair McArthur is ranked in Chambers 2020.