Lauren qualified as a solicitor into Herrington Carmichael’s Real Estate department in March 2019 after completing her training contract at the firm. She specialises in acting for property developers in respect of land acquisitions and all ancillary legal work including financing arrangements, utility agreements with utility companies as well as private land owners, planning agreements and overage agreements.
Lauren also manages the Plot sales team and is responsible for the set-up of the legal framework for development sites including drafting the contracts, leases/transfers and information sheet and advising as to the suitability of conveyance plans in line with Land Registry requirements.
Experience | Key projects
- Acted on behalf of a developer in respect of a £3 million refinance of an ongoing development which had stringent deadlines to be met and multiple parties involved, including a mezzanine lender
- Acted on behalf of a high street bank as a panel solicitor for the grant of a mortgage over a nigh net worth new build residential property
- Regularly act on behalf of developer clients in respect of securing development and bridging finance, including dealing with all lender requirements for high street lenders and mezzanine lenders
- Assisted on a transaction involving the purchase of a large multi-million pound development site by way of a conditional contract, followed by a sub-sale to a subsidiary company and a Headlease of an additional part of the land, in order to facilitate the client’s proposed development of 250 houses
- Acted on behalf of a developer in respect of their collaboration with a national housebuilder including the drafting of a complex partition transfer separating the two developer’s parcels of land, whilst maintaining jointly owned infrastructure land required to serve the development as a whole
- The frequent negotiation of various planning, utility and infrastructure agreements ancillary to residential development sites including s106 Agreements, s104 Agreements, s278 Agreements and Deeds of Easements where applicable
- Acquisition of development sites with or without the benefit of planning permission by way of option agreements, conditional and unconditional contracts, including overage agreements
- Manages the plot sales team to oversee the sales of the new build plots at approximately 36 development sites during 2019/2020 for various developers.
- Responsible for the set-up of the legal framework for each new development site to include the drafting of contracts, transfer/lease (as applicable) and information sheets and collating the documentation to form the sales packs
- Liaising with any mortgagee for the development to arrange redemption of the mortgage on each sale and eventual discharge of the charge against the development
- Liaising with the developer on completion of the plot sales to arrange the transfer of any communal areas to the management company where applicable
- Dealing with the sale of the freehold reversion of leasehold properties including issuing Section 5 notices where applicable
Interests and Hobbies
Outside of the office Lauren enjoys reading, cooking and going to the cinema. She loves socialising with friends and attending concerts. Lauren also enjoys visiting different places around the world and hopes to travel much more in the future.
I feel compelled, to place on record, my sincere thanks and appreciation for the high quality and outstanding service I have received through your Offices in respect of recent sales. It is most refreshing, in this day and age, for someone to be consistently working on your behalf, rather than, only when being chased, by the Client to do so. Your thoughtful consideration, advice, attention to detail and reassurances, particularly when difficulties arose, in finding solutions, were totally commendable
We cannot recommend HC highly enough – a challenging property sale which commenced in September 2019. Due to the complexity of the set up of the property, an asset in an off-shore account set up within a Trust with minimum paperwork to hand, HC took on the challenge of assisting us with the sale. Even after the first potential purchasers pulled out followed by three lockdowns, HC stayed on board with us and saw the property sale through to completion 17 months later. A big thank you to Lauren Purdey who remained positive throughout and kept us muddling on when we thought there was no end in sight.
I wanted to share with you a huge thank you for your wonderful support. Our house sale and purchase was a very stressful situation due to the issues we faced, but having you involved in the process made it so much easier and I am not sure we would have got here without you. Your attention to detail, prompt responses and actions on behalf of your clients is incredible. Finding a solicitor that acts on your behalf as well as you did is very rare – and we cannot thank you enough! The various contacts we spoke through – i.e the different estate agents who we were selling and buying through also shared the feedback on how great you have been – so the recognition extends past us all well…
We really cannot thank you enough, and will be recommending you in the future.
Whilst completing a land purchase I found the team at Herrington Carmichael to be friendly, knowledgeable and professional. It was a delight to work with Lauren in particular, who was proactive and kept me fully informed. Enquiries were responded to immediately and it was great to see the other side being chased up so that we could push the deal through. Fantastic!
Lauren acted for us on a S106 agreement, on an easement with the local landowner and on the sale of our rear garden for development. All three matters had complications but Lauren guided us through these to successful conclusions. It was a pleasure having Lauren working for us and we have no hesitation in recommending her.
Lauren was recommended to me and I would gladly recommend her to others. Always a pleasure to talk to, Lauren has incisive drafting ability, solid judgement and the perseverance to conclude contracts
Lauren is always quick to get back to you, very on the ball and efficient in all ways as well as being a pleasure to deal with. I would have no hesitation in asking her to act for me again.
I have had the pleasure of using the services of Herrington and Carmichael in the past and recently instructed Lauren Purdey on my Mother’s sale. The service and attention to detail I received was excellent. I would highly recommend them and have already done so to friends and family
We just want to thank you for your work on this sale. You’ve been fantastic throughout, always responding quickly, keeping us informed and helping us out when we were unsure about something. We’ll be in touch when we buy/sell again!
Having had a poor experience with my two previous solicitor firms, I found my experience with Lauren Purdey to be a complete breath of fresh air. She provided timely and effective communication, turned things around incredibly speedily whenever the ball was in her court (we were on a tight deadline), gave clear advice and, probably the biggest one for me…I could actually reach her on the phone!
Nobody thought that when we started the buying process that Covid-19 would strike. Herrington Carmichael and particularly yourself, were so on top of things that it was totally transparent to us that you were working from home. My calls to the office number came straight through to you, emails were responded to immediately, your report on title was in plain English. Most importantly to us, you gave us peace of mind that even with Covid at its peak, we would still be completing our purchase on time.
Legal Insights by Lauren Purdey
2021 promises to be an interesting year, at the very least, for the property market as a number of major deadlines loom.
Where NHBC (or alternative warranty provider) deal with the warranty and the Building Regulations on a development…
Most people are generally aware of the term “squatters rights” which in principle, allows a person who has been in possession of a piece…
FREE: Legal Insights and Event News
Keep you, your family and / or business up to date on how the law affects you, by subscribing to one of our legal insights.
Subscribe for free Legal Insights
& Event updates
Award winning legal advice
We are solicitors in Camberley, Wokingham and London. In 2019, Herrington Carmichael won ‘Property Law Firm of the Year’ at the Thames Valley Business Magazines Property Awards, ‘Best Medium Sized Business’ at the Surrey Heath Business Awards and we were named IR Global’s ‘Member of the Year’. We are ranked as a Leading Firm 2020 by Legal 500 and Alistair McArthur is ranked in Chambers 2020.