Working in the Real Estate Department since 2015, Josh undertakes a range of property matters for both individual and business clients including the sale or acquisition of land for residential development, and matters concerning agricultural and rural land.
With a specialism in leasehold enfranchisement, Josh takes both individual and collective instructions relating to lease extensions, collective enfranchisement, right to manage or rights of first refusal.
Josh also has broad experience in secured lending having acted for high street banks, challenger banks and other lending institutions, in addition to individual and corporate borrowers across portfolios of both residential and commercial property.
Experience | Key projects
Agricultural & Rural Land
- Acting on the £3 million + acquisition of a 44 acre property comprising a residential dwelling, staff accommodation, livery & training yard and agricultural land.
- Acting on the £2 million sale of a 73 acre agricultural property subject to a farm business tenancy.
- Acting on the acquisition of a mixed use site which included listing buildings, farmhouses and other agricultural buildings, residential accommodation and 18 acres of paddock and pasture for in excess of £2.6 million.
- Acting for leaseholders and landlords in relation to both informal and statutory lease extensions.
- Acting for leaseholders in exercising their rights of first refusal to acquire the freehold of their building, and acting for freeholders in complying with the rights of first refusal and disposing of the freehold.
- Acting for a group of leaseholders in acquiring the freehold of each of their respective houses.
- Acting on the acquisition of a mixed use site for the redevelopment of a block of 57 flats.
- Acting on the acquisition of part of a riverside former ministry of defence site with the benefit of planning permission for residential development.
- Acting on the acquisition of a development site with the benefit of planning permission by way of sub-sale.
- Acting for a high street bank in securing a first legal charge over a mixed use portfolio valued in excess of £8 million.
- Acting for a bank lending £3.75 million to be secured against a portfolio of new residential property in Canary Wharf.
- Acting for a bank lending £2.2 million secured against a portfolio of nineteen residential and commercial properties.
Interests and hobbies
Josh is a keen runner having taken part in several marathons and half marathon races over the past few years. His other interests include football, aviation, travel and craft beer.
Josh Watkins acted for me in a complicated conveyancing matter with critical deadlines to be met. In one instance a really difficult problem arose which seemed to me to be impossible to resolve. However Josh presented me with several solutions and guided me through the choices. I was so glad that he was there.
In short, we feel that we have been tremendously well looked after from start to finish, and that Josh is a real credit to your firm.
– Real Estate Client
Having worked with Joshua on a number of assignments over the years, we have always been extremely impressed at the level of service he provides. His professionalism and efficiency are first class. We would have no hesitation in recommending Joshua.
– Nikki, Quoin Homes Ltd
Josh provided an exceptional service on the purchase of our first rural property. He pre-empted many of our questions and was comfortable providing thoughtful advice & solutions to our concerns. He had a great balance of keeping us up to date but not overloading us with information. I would strongly recommend using Josh and Herrington Carmichael in the future.
– Real Estate Client
Legal Insights by Joshua Watkins
Today the Law Commission have published their latest reports on leasehold reform…
Many individuals and businesses will have either began the preparatory work for a proposed lease extension or enfranchisement…
If you are renting agricultural land or buildings, you are likely to be an agricultural tenant. There are two main categories of agricultural tenancy and each imposes different…
Latest Insights - sign up to our Emailers
Our Emailers will bring you the latest news and insights from our legal teams as we look at the key talking points in life and in law.
Our insights will include articles, podcast discussion and information about our events and services.
You can sign up to as many as you wish and you can opt out at any time.
Sign up to our Emailers
Award winning legal advice
We are solicitors in Camberley, Wokingham and London. In 2019, Herrington Carmichael won ‘Property Law Firm of the Year’ at the Thames Valley Business Magazines Property Awards, ‘Best Medium Sized Business’ at the Surrey Heath Business Awards and we were named IR Global’s ‘Member of the Year’. We are ranked as a Leading Firm 2022 by Legal 500 and Alistair McArthur is ranked in Chambers 2021.