Joel qualified as a Corporate Solicitor in 2019 at a regional firm and then joined the Corporate and Commercial Department at Herrington Carmichael in 2021. Joel advises his clients on a variety of corporate matters including mergers and acquisitions, company restructures, franchising and general corporate law advisory matters. Joel specialises in share sales and purchases with a value below £2 million, but also assists with high value (£2-£10m) financial service mergers and acquisitions.
Joel graduated from Kingston University with a degree in Law and went on to complete his LPC at the University of Law in Guildford.
Experience | Key projects
- Sale of an Independent Financial Advisor business for £8,000,000. Assisting with negotiating the sale of an IFA business to a large equity fund backed financial services company.
- Group restructure and acquisition of an Independent Financial Advisor group for £4,500,000. Advising on a pre-acquisition restructure and acquiring a family owned IFA practice group including multiple subsidiaries.
- Sale of an Independent Financial Advisor business for £2,500,000. Advising an independent IFA on the sale of their company and providing guidance on the necessary FCA authorisation process.
- Acquisition of an Independent Financial Advisor business for approximately £600,000. Advising an IFA practice on the acquisition of an owner-managed IFA as part of a larger series of acquisitions.
- Advising on franchise agreements for a leading haulage and logistics company.
Interests and Hobbies
Joel is a keen footballer, with his greatest success to date being captaining his five a side team to league winning glory in their first season together. Joel is an avid Arsenal fan (for his sins) and is regularly in attendance at the Emirates. Aside from football, Joel enjoys keeping fit and has recently taken up golf as a hobby.
I would like to say that it was an absolute pleasure to work with Joel and the team and the professionalism that was shown by all was second to none.
Joel made the buyout of my business partner very straightforward and his commercial knowledge was there for all to see and the more I spoke to him the more it felt like I was talking to an old friend.
I would be more than happy to recommend Herrington Carmichael to anyone and I would certainly use them myself in the future.
– Andy Baker
Joel and the whole team at Harrington Carmichael provided us with a excellent service and great communication throughout the sale of our business. They were very easy to talk to and explained difficult legal problems in a very friendly and professional manner. We are very grateful to the entire team for giving us a smooth and hassle free experience at a very reasonable cost!
– Sangita, Small Business Owner
Insights written by Joel
Business franchising involves an established business allowing a third party to trade as their own businesses under the franchisor’s brand.
When taking a franchise, the franchiser will provide the franchisee with two key documents; the Franchise Agreement and the Operations Manual.
There are numerous considerations that a franchisee should make when reviewing the Franchise Agreement, which are summarised in this article.
When taking a franchise, the franchiser will usually provide the franchisee with two key documents; the Franchise Agreement and the Operations Manual.
The market research carried out by BFA proves that franchising is an effective and profitable method of establishing a business.
Enter your email address for legal updates on Corporate and Commercial law.
Award winning legal advice
We are solicitors in Camberley, Wokingham and London. In 2019, Herrington Carmichael won ‘Property Law Firm of the Year’ at the Thames Valley Business Magazines Property Awards, ‘Best Medium Sized Business’ at the Surrey Heath Business Awards and we were named IR Global’s ‘Member of the Year’. We are ranked as a Leading Firm 2023 by Legal 500 and Alistair McArthur is ranked in Chambers 2022.