Intellectual Property Law
Our experienced Intellectual Property Law team are well recognised, having worked with household names and international brands.
What is Intellectual Property?
Intellectual Property encompasses a vast and diverse array of business property from software and other copyright materials, to designs and logos and inventions and processes. The laws surrounding Intellectual Property fall into a number of areas, copyright, trade marks, design rights and patents, here’s how we can help you:
- Copyright protection advice & copyright infringements
- Trade Marks and portfolio management
- Design right applications, registered designs and renewals
- Advertising & marketing
Protecting your brand and business assets
It is important for businesses to protect their assets and this includes the non-tangible assets that the business owns. Registering your ownership of those assets that can be registered is key but equally important is vigilance to stop unauthorised use. It is important to take action to stop other individuals and companies from infringing your rights as if you do not take action it can later be argued that you have granted an implied licence for your works to be used.
Intellectual property infringement?
We are highly experienced at being able to resolve disputes regarding Intellectual Property including claims, providing pragmatic and commercial advice to you and your business. Often disputes such as these can be resolved without the need to resort to litigation and early involvement from us can ensure that the infringement is stopped promptly.
When it is not possible to bring the dispute to an end quickly through correspondence, we have unrivalled expertise in running proceedings to enforce and defend Intellectual Property Rights for you through the Court process should this be necessary.
Copyright Infringement: Promotion on cease and desist letters
Are you the owner of copyright in photographers, pictures or words? Have you discovered someone else is using the work without your permission? A take down notice from us may be all it takes to stop the infringement of your intellectual property and to secure you a monetary sum by way of compensation.
Failure to take action can result in you losing your rights in relation to the works. Therefore, it is important to act to protect your assets.
Compensation will depend on the level of infringement.
We can review your papers, send a take-down notice and demand for payment for a fixed fee, contact our team on DRTeam@herrington-carmichael.com or 01276 686222.
Intellectual Property Specialists
- All departments
- Agricultural Law
- Banking and Finance
- Commercial Law
- Commercial Property
- Competition Law
- Consumer Law
- Corporate - MBOs & MBIs
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Law
- Corporate lending
- Data, IT & Technology
- Debt Recovery
- Dispute Resolution
- Disputes - Business
- Disputes - Declarations of trust
- Disputes - Probate and inheritance
- Disputes - Professional negligence
- Disputes - Restrictive Covenants
- Disputes - Shareholders & Partnership
- Disputes - Tenants in Residential Property
- Disputes - Wills, trusts & probate disputes
- Disputes and Small Claims
- Disputes Construction
- Disputes with Co-owners
- Employee - Termination
- Employer - Termination
- Employment - Business protection
- Employment - Collective consultations
- Employment - Contracts, services, consultancy
- Employment - Employee benefits
- Employment - Employee Procedures
- Employment - Equality, discrimination and harassment
- Employment - Family Friendly Rights
- Employment - GDPR and Data Protection
- Employment - Post employment obligations
- Employment - Redundancy & Reorganisation
- Employment - Settlement Agreements
- Employment - Tribunal Claims
- Employment - TUPE
- Employment - Wages, holiday and sick pay
- Employment - Workers rights
- Employment Tribunal claims
- Estate Administration
- Expat Legal Services
- Family Law
- Financial Services
- Help to Buy
- Immigration law
- Intellectual Property
- International Legal Services
- Key Property Contacts
- Land and Property Disputes
- Land, development and construction
- Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Licensing Law
- Money, Tax and Inheritance
- New Build Conveyancing
- New Businsess
- Private Wealth and Inheritance
- Professional Negligence
- Property Finance
- Property Law
- Recovery & Insolvency
- Regulatory, Compliance & Competition
- Residential Property
- Residential Property - Completions
- Residential Property - Shared Ownership
- Terms and Conditions
Latest Intellectual Property Insights
Trade mark registration is typically territorial in the sense that you must generally register...
Recent case involving Amazon provides the answer on trademark infringement The question has...
We recently published an article explaining the benefits of putting a bespoke Confidentiality...
Will I be able to enforce my European intellectual property rights in the UK? The uncertainty for...
It has generally been an accepted principle that intellectual property rights protect your actual...
The wedding season has begun in earnest and it’s vital that wedding photographers are reminded of...
FREE: Legal Insights and Event News
Keep you, your family and / or business up to date on how the law affects you, by subscribing to one of our legal insights.
Subscribe for free Legal Insights
& Event updates
Award winning legal advice
We are solicitors in Camberley, Wokingham and London. In 2019, Herrington Carmichael won ‘Property Law Firm of the Year’ at the Thames Valley Business Magazines Property Awards, ‘Best Medium Sized Business’ at the Surrey Heath Business Awards and we were named IR Global’s ‘Member of the Year’. We are ranked as a Leading Firm 2020 by Legal 500 and Alistair McArthur is ranked in Chambers 2020.