SEIS + EIS Investment Schemes
As companies look to grow, external investment is often turned to by businesses through the provision of extra capital to fund growth plans.
However, many external investors are reluctant to invest in a business until they fully understand the consequences of doing so, which includes the taxation impact of the investment.
What is SEIS and EIS?
The Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (“SEIS”) and the Enterprise Investment Scheme (“EIS”) are tax-efficient government-backed schemes which allow qualifying businesses to fundraise from investors who are tax-resident in the UK.
EIS allows an investor to subscribe for new shares in a qualifying company and to obtain income tax relief on the investment at 20%. If the shares are held for three years after the investment is made, any subsequent gain on them is not subject to Capital Gains Tax (CGT).
SEIS, meanwhile, is primarily targeted at start-ups meaning it is not available if the company has been carrying out the business activity for which inward investment is being sought for a period of more than two years. There are a number of criteria which a company has to meet to qualify for SEIS investment, and our corporate team can assist you in determining whether your business qualifies and can liaise with HM Revenue & Customs on your behalf to confirm your qualification to both schemes.
Help investing through EIS or SEIS
If you are seeking investment through the EIS or the SEIS route, our corporate team can guide you through the entire process. Our expert corporate team will support you in preparing all the documents you need in order to implement EIS or SEIS investment, which may include a subscription agreement, new Articles of Association and corporate ancillary documents.
How can we help?
If you are seeking investment through the EIS or the SEIS route or looking to invest in the same manner, our corporate team can guide you through the entire process. Our expert corporate team will support you in preparing all the documents you need in order to implement the EIS or SEIS investment, which may include a subscription agreement, new Articles of Association and corporate ancillary documents.
Please contact a member of our corporate team for further help:
Yavan Brar: 07971 588 364
Matthew Lea: 0118 989 8155
Chris Gemson: 07799755934
Enter your email address for legal updates on Corporate and Commercial law.
Herrington Carmichael LLP’s ‘commercially astute’ lawyers provide ‘the high standards of service expected of a City firm’ with ‘reasonable billings’. The firm focuses on M&A transactions with an international element, as well as advising on share sales and purchases, corporate restructurings, company option schemes, shareholders’ agreements and other commercial arrangements. Yavan Brar, Mark Chapman and Alex Canham are the lead partners.
Latest news & insights
This podcast explains how transferring company shares is not as simple as you may think, and the processes you should follow.
Upon lending company dissolution, if there are any property or rights to which the lending company is entitled…
In July 2022, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) published its final policy, rules and guidance on the new Consumer Duty.
Director disqualification in respect of dissolved companies is not a new principle, but in 2022 there is certainly a greater risk of it arising…
This podcast is for new businesses looking to register their company and will help you avoid making mistakes that can be costly further down the line.
When a company is insolvent, the directors of a company are under a duty to protect the interests of the company’s creditors.
- All departments
- Agricultural Law
- Co Co - Employee Share Schemes
- Co Co - Recovery & Insolvency
- Co Co - Restructuring
- Co Co Corporate Governance
- Co Co Corporate lending
- Co Co Financial Services
- Co Co Franchising
- Co Co GDPR
- Co Co in-house legal support
- Co Co International Contracts
- Co Co M&A's
- Co Co MBOs & MBIs
- Co Co Partnership and LLPs
- Co Co Regulatory, Compliance & Competition
- Co Co Shareholders Agreements
- Co Co Terms and Conditions
- Co Co- Intellectual Property
- CoCo - Banking and Finance
- CoCo - New Businsess
- CoCo Competition Law
- CoCo Consumer Law
- CoCo Data Protection - Marketing
- CoCo Data, IT & Technology
- Commercial Law
- Commercial Property
- Corporate & Commercial
- Corporate Law
- Debt Recovery
- Dispute Resolution
- Disputes - Business
- Disputes - Declarations of trust
- Disputes - Probate and inheritance
- Disputes - Professional negligence
- Disputes - Restrictive Covenants
- Disputes - Shareholders & Partnership
- Disputes - Tenants in Residential Property
- Disputes - Wills, trusts & probate disputes
- Disputes and Small Claims
- Disputes Construction
- Disputes with Co-owners
- Employee - Termination
- Employer - Termination
- Employment - Business protection
- Employment - Collective consultations
- Employment - Contracts, services, consultancy
- Employment - Employee benefits
- Employment - Employee Procedures
- Employment - Equality, discrimination and harassment
- Employment - Family Friendly Rights
- Employment - GDPR and Data Protection
- Employment - Post employment obligations
- Employment - Redundancy & Reorganisation
- Employment - Settlement Agreements
- Employment - Tribunal Claims
- Employment - TUPE
- Employment - Wages, holiday and sick pay
- Employment - Workers rights
- Employment Tribunal claims
- Estate Administration
- Expat Legal Services
- Family Law
- Financial Services
- Help to Buy
- Immigration law
- International Legal Services
- Key Property Contacts
- Land and Property Disputes
- Land, development and construction
- Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Licensing Law
- Money, Tax and Inheritance
- New Build Conveyancing
- Private Wealth and Inheritance
- Professional Negligence
- Property Finance
- Property Law
- Residential Property
- Residential Property - Completions
- Residential Property - Shared Ownership
- Trainee Solicitor
- Wills, Trusts & Probate
Award winning legal advice
We are solicitors in Camberley, Wokingham and London. In 2019, Herrington Carmichael won ‘Property Law Firm of the Year’ at the Thames Valley Business Magazines Property Awards, ‘Best Medium Sized Business’ at the Surrey Heath Business Awards and we were named IR Global’s ‘Member of the Year’. We are ranked as a Leading Firm 2023 by Legal 500 and Alistair McArthur is ranked in Chambers 2022.