SEIS + EIS Investment Schemes
As companies look to grow, external investment is often turned to by businesses through the provision of extra capital to fund growth plans.
However, many external investors are reluctant to invest in a business until they fully understand the consequences of doing so, which includes the taxation impact of the investment.
What is SEIS and EIS?
The Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (“SEIS”) and the Enterprise Investment Scheme (“EIS”) are tax-efficient government-backed schemes which allow qualifying businesses to fundraise from investors who are tax-resident in the UK.
EIS allows an investor to subscribe for new shares in a qualifying company and to obtain income tax relief on the investment at 20%. If the shares are held for three years after the investment is made, any subsequent gain on them is not subject to Capital Gains Tax (CGT).
SEIS, meanwhile, is primarily targeted at start-ups meaning it is not available if the company has been carrying out the business activity for which inward investment is being sought for a period of more than two years. There are a number of criteria which a company has to meet to qualify for SEIS investment, and our corporate team can assist you in determining whether your business qualifies and can liaise with HM Revenue & Customs on your behalf to confirm your qualification to both schemes.
Help investing through EIS or SEIS
If you are seeking investment through the EIS or the SEIS route, our corporate team can guide you through the entire process. Our expert corporate team will support you in preparing all the documents you need in order to implement EIS or SEIS investment, which may include a subscription agreement, new Articles of Association and corporate ancillary documents.
How can we help?
If you are seeking investment through the EIS or the SEIS route or looking to invest in the same manner, our corporate team can guide you through the entire process. Our expert corporate team will support you in preparing all the documents you need in order to implement the EIS or SEIS investment, which may include a subscription agreement, new Articles of Association and corporate ancillary documents.
Please contact a member of our corporate team for further help:
Yavan Brar: 07971 588 364
Matthew Lea: 0118 989 8155
Chris Gemson: 07799755934
Enter your email address for legal updates on Corporate and Commercial law.
Herrington Carmichael LLP‘s corporate and commercial team is regarded as a ‘one-stop solution for legal advice‘, offering ‘versatile and wide expertise‘ toa range of clients in the region. Yavan Brar heads up the team, working with corporate specialists Mark Chapman and the ‘exceptional and committed‘ Alex Canham. Legal director Cesare McArdle, who focuses on commercial and construction matters is another well-regarded member of the team. Typical work includes multimillion-pound M&A, share sales and company reorganisations. The practice is primarily based in Farnborough, but the wider firm also has a presence in London, Ascot and Reading.
Latest news & insights
When you’re selling your shares to an Employee Ownership Trust, thought will need to be given to how the trust will be run after the sale has completed.
You may have heard of EOTs, and how they are an option for business owners to realise the value of their business.
For any overseas entity which has registered on the Register of Overseas Entities, it’s soon time to file their first annual update statement.
In the fast-paced business environment a company may experience challenges which could ultimately lead to legal risk.
The UK and Australia’s economic ties are set to become even stronger with the recent signing of the UK-Australia Free Trade Agreement.
While ESG remains high on the agendas of businesses, the UK government is reinforcing its ambition for the UK to continue as a global leader in green finance.
- All departments
- Agricultural Law
- Co Co - Employee Share Schemes
- Co Co - Recovery & Insolvency
- Co Co - Restructuring
- Co Co Corporate Governance
- Co Co Corporate lending
- Co Co Financial Services
- Co Co Franchising
- Co Co GDPR
- Co Co in-house legal support
- Co Co International Contracts
- Co Co M&A's
- Co Co MBOs & MBIs
- Co Co Partnership and LLPs
- Co Co Regulatory, Compliance & Competition
- Co Co Shareholders Agreements
- Co Co Terms and Conditions
- Co Co- Intellectual Property
- CoCo - Banking and Finance
- CoCo - New Businsess
- CoCo Competition Law
- CoCo Consumer Law
- CoCo Data Protection - Marketing
- CoCo Data, IT & Technology
- Commercial Law
- Commercial Property
- Corporate & Commercial
- Corporate Law
- Debt Recovery
- Dispute Resolution
- Disputes - Business
- Disputes - Declarations of trust
- Disputes - Probate and inheritance
- Disputes - Professional negligence
- Disputes - Restrictive Covenants
- Disputes - Shareholders & Partnership
- Disputes - Tenants in Residential Property
- Disputes - Wills, trusts & probate disputes
- Disputes and Small Claims
- Disputes Construction
- Disputes with Co-owners
- Employee - Termination
- Employer - Termination
- Employment - Business protection
- Employment - Collective consultations
- Employment - Contracts, services, consultancy
- Employment - Employee benefits
- Employment - Employee Procedures
- Employment - Equality, discrimination and harassment
- Employment - Family Friendly Rights
- Employment - GDPR and Data Protection
- Employment - Post employment obligations
- Employment - Redundancy & Reorganisation
- Employment - Settlement Agreements
- Employment - Tribunal Claims
- Employment - TUPE
- Employment - Wages, holiday and sick pay
- Employment - Workers rights
- Employment Tribunal claims
- Estate Administration
- Expat Legal Services
- Family Law
- Financial Services
- Help to Buy
- Immigration law
- International Legal Services
- Key Property Contacts
- Land and Property Disputes
- Land, development and construction
- Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Licensing Law
- Money, Tax and Inheritance
- New Build Conveyancing
- Private Wealth and Inheritance
- Professional Negligence
- Property Finance
- Property Law
- Residential Property
- Residential Property - Completions
- Residential Property - Shared Ownership
- Trainee Solicitor
- Wills, Trusts & Probate
Award winning legal advice
Herrington Carmichael offers legal advice to UK and International businesses as well as individuals and families. Rated as a ‘Leading Firm 2023’ by the legal directory Legal 500 and listed in The Times ‘Best Law Firms 2023’. Herrington Carmichael has offices in London, Farnborough, Reading, and Ascot.