Herrington Carmichael Diversity Data 2023
All firms of solicitors are required to collect, report, and publish data about the diversity make-up of the workforce every two years.
In July 2023 we invited all staff and partners at Herrington Carmichael LLP to complete a voluntary diversity survey based on the questionnaire provided by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
We have set out below the results of our survey. The data shown is obtained from the survey responses received and the percentages given are therefore based on the survey respondents, not our total staff numbers.
The results of some questions have not been published as they would or might enable individuals to be identified or compromise confidentiality.
The age distribution of surveyed staff is:
- 16-24 16% 16%
- 25-34 41% 41%
- 32-44 18% 18%
- 45-54 13% 13%
- 55-64 7% 7%
- 65+ 2% 2%
- Prefer not to say 3% 3%
Out of those who responded, the workforce at Herrington Carmichael is:
Prefer not to say
15% shared that they had a disability in accordance with the Equality Act and a further 2% preferred not to say.
Ethnicity as a percentage of those surveyed.
- British / English / Welsh / Northern Ireland 79% 79%
- Any other White background 6% 6%
- Invalid / no response 3% 3%
- Indian 2% 2%
- Pakistani 2% 2%
- Any other Mixed / multiple ethnic background 2% 2%
- Any other Asian background 1% 1%
- White and Asian 1% 1%
- Arab 1% 1%
Modern professional and traditional professional occupations = 29%
Senior, middle or junior managers or administrators = 35%
Clerical and intermediate occupations = 5%
Technical and craft occupations = 5%
Routine, semi-routine manual and service occupations = 8%
Small business owners who employed less than 25 people = 11%
Day-to-day activities limited due to health problem or disability lasting at least 12 months
23% of respondents considered they were limited a little by their disability while 9% considered they were limited a lot.
School type attended from 11 to 16 years old:
- State-run or state-funded school – non-selective 65% 65%
- Independent / fee-paying school 14% 14%
- State-run or state-funded school – selective on academic, faith or other grounds 11% 11%
- Attended school outside of the UK 9% 9%
- Independent / fee-paying school, where I received a bursary covering 90% or more of my tuition 1% 1%
Did either of your parents attend university by the time you were 18?
- No, neither of my parents attended university 62% 62%
- Yes, one or both of my parents attended university 33% 33%
- Don’t know / not sure 2% 2%
- Invalid / no response to this question 2% 2%
- Prefer not to say 1% 1%
Primary Carer for a child under 18 years old:
No = 72%
Yes = 28%
Time spent providing unpaid care for those with long term physical or mental ill health caused by disability or age:
No = 94%
Yes, 1-19 hours a week = 5%
Prefer not to say = 1%
Award winning legal advice
Herrington Carmichael offers legal advice to UK and International businesses as well as individuals and families. Rated as a ‘Leading Firm 2023’ by the legal directory Legal 500 and listed in The Times ‘Best Law Firms 2023’. Herrington Carmichael has offices in London, Farnborough, Reading, and Ascot.